Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

real world 454 power #'s

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by big_truxx, Dec 10, 2004.

1. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

anyone know what something like an 84 454 with stock q-jet carb should be putting out for hp and tq? ran the desktop dyno and got some #'s that make me think that it really isnt acurate. also any good links to sites for chevy v-8 power #'s? one of these days id love to take the time and compile a whole bunch of engine power specs on the same page. at least chevy and caddy v-8.

2. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I dont have a book handy,but the 74 454 I had was rated at 235 hp and 360 ft lbs of torque,I think the 454's in the 80's will be about the same,they didnt change much--the figures seem pretty low compared to the "seat of your pants" dyno--I could burn the tires in all 3 gears with a TH400 without having to beat on it!!..
    I saw your ad for the diesel truck for sale--I'd love to buy it for parts for my 82,but yours is a 2wd??--I know a guy in my area looking for a good 6.2 for his ramp truck(the crank broke in his near the timing chain--its trashed) and he would be willing to buy the truck if it wasnt so far away--how far is Canan ME from the boston area??(Canan isnt listed on my map!).

3. bajaviking

bajaviking 1/2 ton status

I don't think the horsepower numbers are very impressive but the low end torque is great and that is really what matters in a heavy 4x4. I run a stock 454 with headers and a q-jet and I am very happy with it. As long as I don't get on the gas too much the fuel consumption is almost the same as my old 350 engine but the acceleration and towing power is just sooo much better. Together with my manual tranny this is the best modification I have done to my truck, only bad thing is that all my friends are always calling me now to pull their junk out when they get stuck

4. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

yahoo maps says canaan is only 197 mi from boston. not too far ;) i tried pmiong you but it said your not accepting them...

5. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I'll tell my friend about your parts truck--but I dont think he will want to go that far--he probably would if his ramp truck was still running!! I will post back if he is interested--thanks!!

I dont think I can do the PM's if I'm not a paid member???--I am probably the most computer illiterate person on this site--I'm lucky to figure out how to post at all--especially since the whole site changed last week!!..

6. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status