Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

really anoying problem..brake lights

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Chaz88K5, Mar 3, 2002.

1. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

Ok this prob has been goin on for about 6 months now and i just cant seem to finger it out....well the problem is that my brake lights keep burnin out within about 2 weeks after i instal them...the running lights are fine but it just the one filliment in the bulb that keeps blowin...i have tried LED bulbs and they lasted a week longer but dident solve my problem...anyone have any ideas for me on what to look for...i am not a wireing type of person so this crap gets on my nerves

2. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Probably the wire is grounding out somewhere...You need to follow that wire.. And check for cracks in the wire where it can short out....Good luck...Dan

3. rockink5

rockink5 1/2 ton status

Had the same problem with a set of Cepek lights. Kept burning out the damn bulbs. Traced it down to a bad ground, it some how was giving the lights a voltage spike. Check your grounds Dude,I would almost bet money thats your problem. I said almost bet money

4. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

A short in your wires or a relay. Just a thought.

5. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

there are relays on tail lights??...not from what i have seen..this is another think that i have noticed...i dont know if it changes anything or not..but the driver side always burns out first...then the passenger a few days later...prob still something to do with a ground eh...would no ground strap from the motor to the fire wall make a difference?...i just noticed that today that it broke...how i have no clue...but it is no longer connected....damn i hate wiring!!!

6. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

I think the wires come along the drivers side..Then go over to the passenger side.. That would make since that that one goes out first.. So the problem probably between there and up to the front.. As for the grounding strap... That would cause all your lights to go out if that was the problem.. But you should hook it back up...Dan

7. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

welp looks like i have a project tommorow after noon to add to the many others that have been building...i am not lookin forward to this at all...anyone willing to do it for me haha

8. rockink5

rockink5 1/2 ton status

It could be a short between the seat and the steering wheel. ah i'm just kidin'

9. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

alright smart ass....good one /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

10. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

Chaz... one quick tid-bit I have found is that alot of these trucks suffer breaks, pinches, and other wiring woes where the wires go above the fuel tank. It is a PIA to check but you should be able to see some above the tank with a flashlight, or else I have rewired from right under the driver's seat area all the way back for the tailights before just because a high quality wiring repair is still easier then dealing with the tank. Just an extra two bits. Good luck.

11. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

sounds like a plan for next weekend...got alot of work on my hands it sounds like