Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Really dumb air-tool question......

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by heavy4x4, Apr 6, 2003.

1. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Ok, let's just say there's this person (we won't reveal his name for sake of how dumb this question really may be) and he's about to buy an air compressor and tools. What should this person use for oil in the impact wrench and other tools. He's wondering if you're supposed to use motor oil, or if there is special "air-tool oil" available. Also, how often should things be oiled. The inlets say "oil daily" but should it be done before each use (since they won't be used daily)? He will appreciate any responses. Thanks. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

2. jhrody

jhrody 1/2 ton status

I use household oil in mine. I think you can buy "air tool oil" but I think it's the same thing. I oil mine whenever I get around to it.

3. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

Yes they make special oil for air tools,,,I don't know how special it actually is however. I have had air tools for years, both cheapies and good ones and haven't added oil hardly ever, unles one was acting up. I don't use them everyday so you might wait for some more guys to respond. I would stay away from the new "oil-less" compressors and go ahead and get a good one.

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Home Depot sells Air Tool Oil cheap enough to not worry about using something else. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif I've got an automatic oiler setup on my compressor. Just fill a small resevoir with a couple of ounces and it gets misted into the air lines when you use air. I also have a "dry" outlet that doesn't add oil and keep air lines that also don't have any oil residue in them, for use with the paint gun. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I just bought that 5.5hp 26 gal Husky from Homely Depot on sale (reg$369 for $329 w/ free hose).....I was advised to get a belt drive rather than a "modular" (?) one so if something goes rwong you can rebuild/replace rather than having to mess with the whole unit...the instructions said to add Compressor Oil (not included) or Full Synthetic 10w30 motor oil (which I had on hand)...still need to add an inline filter, and I go drool on all the neato toyz I can buy for it....I haven't used it enough to break anything yet.... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. bowtiepower00

bowtiepower00 1/2 ton status

I use Snap-on Air Tool Oil, but I've seen guys use everything from WD-40 to 3 in 1 oil. I oil my tools once a day if I use em. When you buy a compressor, make sure it has a belt drive and that you can change the oil in the compressor. If you can swing it, get a IR. They really aren't too expensive, and they are about as good as it gets. Don't bother reading the HP ratings, look at CFM. The minimum I'd consider is 5 CFM, but if you plan on using your compressor often, and for painting or running sanders, etc., I'd get one that is rated at 10 or higher. Once you go air, you'll wonder how you lived without it...

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I oil my air tools based on usage. My air grinder gets used heavily and sometimes I'll oil it 3 or 4 times in a shift...my impact gets used hardly at all, so I give it a few drops just before I use it. Oiling them helps a lot.

Keep a rag handy for after you oil it though, there will be a fair amount that comes out the exhaust.

Rene

8. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

I buy Marvel Mystery oil by the QT and refill the little air tool oil bottles from it.