Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Really dumb question-spark plug wires

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by lochenjons, Apr 6, 2007.

1. lochenjons

lochenjons 1/2 ton status

I'm not sure if I'm being dumb or just not used to buying the cheap wires or if it's one of those autozone things or what. But whenever I've bought wires before they clip right on and its good. These wires (duralast I think) only clip on with one side. The other side goes on but is way loose and doesnt really lock in place like it should. Am I supposed to bend them so it locks on the plug or what?

2. Jason4x4

Jason4x4 1/2 ton status

sounds like you got the wrong wires.

3. 454k30

454k30 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

i bought a set of cheapies once and they didnt clip onto my bosch plugs well. They clipped onto the AC's I replaced those with just fine though. I guess different manufacturers have slightly different sizes for common parts. Anyway I ditched them for a set of MSD's and those things hold very well.

4. Tabb

Tabb ROLL TIDE! AGAIN! GMOTM Winner

How long are the spark plug boots? Thats the end not clipping on right? you probably got the wrong wires.

5. lochenjons

Short. I figured they were wrong the first time, so i returned them (this was a long time ago) and now bought different wires again and they looked different but still did the same thing

6. vortec

vortec 1/2 ton status

i had to trim the boots on a universal set of accels, to let the wire seat onto the cap terminal. then, i just gave them a finger squeeze and they've been good for 5 years and over 70K miles.

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Me as well with the Accels. You could get them to clip on by forcing the plug wire against the terminal harder, which bulged the rubber out, but obviously that won't hold.

8. lochenjons

Its weird though that two different brands from two different stores would be the same way. I guess Ill have to take a plug over there when I buy them.

9. lochenjons

Ok I took in a spark plug I had and showed them and now I have the right ones. And just in time too, on my way home later my truck was running really bad and making a clicking ticking noise. A whole lot louder than the exhaust leak I had (it kinda fixed itself) and it barely idles. I pull over and one of the old wires is melted to the header but not bad. I start up the truck and its still making the sound, so since I have a whole box of new wires I decide to replace that one wire for now, but when I look to unplug it from the dist. I notice another wire isnt even connected there :doah:. Plugged that back in and it ran fine.