Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Really Need Help with VAN........

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by conoverbandit, Apr 17, 2005.

1. conoverbandit

conoverbandit 1/2 ton status

Hey Y'all,

I got a big problem with my van. It's a 93 Chevy G-20 (full size) with a 4.3 liter 6. I replaced the engine in it about 2 months ago, with a "long block type" engine. About 2 weeks ago it started acting like it was missing a little @ interstate speed, but drove good around town, well in 2 weeks it's gotten gradually worse to the point now that once it gets operating temp. it will back fire, miss really bad, and has hardly any power. At the time we put the engine in I repalced the plugs,wires, and cap/button. I went this past friday and got a new coil for it thinking this might be the problem......Nope, I then went and got a new ign.module thinking this might be it......Nope, To date I have also replaced: coil, ign module,fuel filter,egr,another set of new wires (ac delco). I goofed the Dizzy up trying to get the pick-up module out so I went and got a totally new one. So as far as I know everything for the ignition of the motor has been replaced. Heres my situation: I cranked it up last night in the dark thinking I might see something, boy was I right! You can actually see the wires glow! it surges just like a set of christmas lights! you can see the plugs hit everytime, and you can see the current run downm the wire and into the plug. You can also make out the fire going down a plug wire and it will jump on to another one and either run up to the dizzy, or to another plug. I'm at odds on what to do here, as advance won't give me another set of wires cause they think that's not it. I have talked to a few guys around here, and they say the 7mm wires are not "big" enough to carry the current....... I double checked my old wires I took from the old engine and it also had the 7mm wires on it but we never had a problem like this from them.....they also say "double silicon high heat treated" and the ac delco's I got just says "premium silicon" could these wires not be heavy enough? could they not be shielded enough? Thanks in advance for any help. I'm sorry to be so long winded about it, but trying to give as much info as possible to help try to figure this thing out......Thanks,

Wayne

2. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Could be defective wires....

I've seen more than a few wire sets that were junk right out of the box...especially the cheap 20 dollar ones from Autozone,I noticed they no longer carry the "Ultra Spark" ones I bought for my van,and brought back a month later when it ran better on the old wires I took off!--they were thin,easily cut when installing them into the wire holders,and I suspect they were only carbon strings inside instead of actual wire..it ran like dogcrap every time it rained,or was humid and foggy out...

Sometimes you can see the "corona" around plug wires and plugs while its running in the dark,some of it is normal--but if you see it jumping to ground,or another wire near it,I'd say the wires are crappy..

Good luck convincing the counter guys at the parts store they are--but go easy on them,they are probably under pressure from the management to turn away as many "defective" parts returns as possible to increase profits....another reason I hated working the parts counter..I was a powder keg waiting to go off in that situation,when the bosses make YOU look like the A-hole,when its their job to handle returns and complaints...more than once I was told I'd be beaten when I walked out the door at 5 o'clock,all because my boss refused to give a refund to an unsatisfied customer--and as far as the customer was concerned,it was MY fault,and I was the one who screwed him... :frown1: :mad:

3. randy88k5

randy88k5 1/2 ton status

I would try a new set of wires, and make sure you have a good ground to the engine. I havent seen or heard of this before, but I would try a diagnostic step-by-step. Check the resistance in the wires. None should be over about 10,000 Ohms per foot (I believe, but I run low-resistance wires). Make sure the insulation is uncut, and the loom seperators and holders did not pierce the insulation. I saw a guy tie plug wires together with twist ties, and they eventually ate through eachother and made a hell of a mess of anything near those wires.

I second that about the parts guys, but my manager never tried to force a non-refund on a valid complaint. But some customers just want something for free or a better deal, and then threaten violence when you say no. I had plenty of threats, but no follow throughs.

Just tell the parts people you would like to try a different set of wires because you believe they are not shielded properly. You can see the sparks. I dont think they would hassle you. Good luck

4. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

wires

avoid cheapy ones, cept for demolition derby use

7 mil is very small.. tiny

good luck

5. conoverbandit

conoverbandit 1/2 ton status

Up date!

Today a friend of mine pulled a set of 8mm wires for a 8cyl. out of his locker and gave them to me, he said they did not have anything they used them on anymore and was going to throw them away anyway. I had to use my boots for hook up to the dizzy, tried them and the arcing sound moved, no more on top of engine but down around the plugs, so I went to dofferent store and got a new set of plugs and installed them and tried it and IT WORKED!!! I drove it hard around the block to soo if I could get it to do it and it didn't......Guess I'll find out when the wife goes to school tomm. Thanks for the help y'all.

Wayne

6. Fierospeeder

Fierospeeder Banned

the ignition system doesn't have a lot of current. Besides NHRA dragsters.

The different insulations are to help with keeping the RFs down.