Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

really need the help guys, gonna do a 454 swap need details and have questions

Discussion in '1936-Present Suburban' started by hereinmissoula, Oct 23, 2006.

1. hereinmissoula

hereinmissoula Registered Member

can get my hands on a reman. 454 (stock is all i want for now) and would like to put it into my 1/2 ton burb. Though i have a few questions.... going into 1988 4x4 1/2 ton 350 tbi bone stock as of now

1.i know that i will need custom exhaust... i am ok with this.. will probably use headers that were meant for a 3/4, they should fit right????

2. Tranny, i have the 700R4 and do not want a th400, can i keep this tranny, and if so what modifications need to be made.

3. Motor mounts ?? simple question, but probable a stupid one, 2500 454 mounts???

4. Fuel system and computer... do i just find a new ecm to go with the big block or will mine do with a new chip.. im sure i can find a tbi intake and tbi unit.. what else will i need

5. Accesories.. i want to keep ALL of my accesories. This vehicle has working air and i would like to keep it... will my existing accessories blot up to new mounts... i mean are they the same parts, just with different mounts that i can get from the ol' yard... i want everything to work as stock

6. the truck will be getting a 4" tuff country kit with the ez ride springs... i know this 454 weighs alot more than the 350 so what does a guy do... , can i use a front 3/4 leaf??? add a leaf into the tuff country????

thx for the help... and if you all have anything else to add i would appreciate it.

2. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

In no particular order:
    the engine mounts are the same.
    The springs in the front will be fine it will sit a little better this way.
    The ECM is different and so are the injectors, and the intake, I believe the Throttle body is the same, but I could be wrong.
    The accessories are the same but the brakets are different.
    You can use your same exhaust, night need to cut and adjust the ends to the proper length/angle.
    The 700R4 will work as is, it might go out faster with the added power but then just get a good rebuild from GM
    You might need a bigger tank then to keep up with the fuel :haha:

3. hereinmissoula

hereinmissoula Registered Member

already costs me 85 to fill up as is... lol.....

with the tbi im sure i won't get less than 10 in town...

does a guy just find a **** old 2500 bigblock for parts... probably the best idea hah... for the brackets and all... there has got to be something difficult about this... i want the cruise to work and everything....

what is involved in using the axles off of a 2500????

shane

4. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

It's not how much it costs to fill up but how often you have to fill up. :eek1:

5. bowtiepower00

bowtiepower00 1/2 ton status

Well, the accessory drive is different, your individual components will work (other than water pump) but you're going to need new brackets, etc. GMPP makes a complete kit, but it isn't cheap. As far as the fuel system is concerned, the TBI is completely different, and difficult to find for a reasonable price used. You'd probably be best off purchasing one from Turbo City or someplace similar. The wiring harness is going to have some differences, you can adapt or try to find one somewhere. You're going to want a better fuel pump. If you're going to all of this trouble, I would suggest using the Edelbrock cam and intake for 454 TBI vehicles. You will see some very good power gains over stock with them. For the springs, make sure you get the HD springs, which are the EZ-ride with an added overload. Your 700 will live for awhile, but youre going to want to put a big cooler on it and possibly even a temp gauge. It would be cheaper and easier to rebuild the SBC you already have with better parts and possibly a stroker kit. A 350, with some good aftermarket heads and cam, along with a little TBI work will make just as much power as that 454. If you're willing to go 383 and/or roller cam, you can make even more power.