Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Really stiff brakes

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Calclips, Jun 4, 2003.

1. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Swartz Creek, Michigan/Flint while in school
    I've got an 82 K20 on 35" Hawgs, and the brakes on it are really really stiff. I have to stand on the pedal to get it to stop. The truck has a new master cylinder in it, what are a few things I should check out this weekend when I'm home from school?

Thanks,
    Dan

2. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Sounds like the booster is bad. Or a vacuum line going to it is missing or disconnected. This will cause stiff brakes.

John

3. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Ooooh ooooh oooooh......I know this one!!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

It could be a few things, but if a previous owner (let's call him numbnutz!) used a fuel line to run from the manifold up to the vaccuum port on the booster.....odds are good that it's collapsed by now and you are getting ZERO vaccuum assist!!! Happened to me!!!!

Vaccuum Hose is special, and much more resistant to being sucked shut. Check the markings on the hose....if you're not sure, replace it with the REAL stuff. It's one of the cheapest things you can do to start troubleshooting your problem anyway.......

4. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Swartz Creek, Michigan/Flint while in school
    forgot I had this post laying around out there... I'll check and see if numbnutz did anything of the sort. If the vac line is not hooked up do I just hook it to a vac port on the manifold, or one of the ones off of the carb?