Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Really stupid mistake!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by trailblazer87, Jul 25, 2003.

1. trailblazer87

trailblazer87 1/2 ton status

I really don't want put in another tranny and was wondering if I can patch the hole in it. I blew a hole while jerking out a Winnebago at Pismo. Broke the T-case reinforcement bar so the truck stopped but the T-case did not /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif
    It chipped the tranny about 1 1/2" at the bottom right croner where the tranny meets the adaptor, around the bolt. I managed to patch it up so it doesn't leak in any forward gears but it blows the fluid out when in reverse. This tranny only has 3k miles on it. I don't want to drop another grand on one.
    Any help would be appreciated.
    btw. The gasket is just torn and it should still seal up.

2. doctor4x4

doctor4x4 1/2 ton status

lets see some pics of the carnage so we can determin weather to stich it up or amputate /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

3. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

If only one of the bolt holes is messed up, you might be able to get by. Worst case is that it will blow out at some inoportune time, but you still haven't lost any money on it.

Welding the case would likely be difficult enough that it's easier to just swap all of your guts into a donor case. Aluminum has to be super clean to weld and since it's porous, it's hard to get the oil out.

You should probably try to find the reason it was able to jerk free in the first place.

Even if you seal around the adapter, it is still no good if the tranny keeps filling the T-case with fluid.