Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Really weird (and stupid) Factory manual hub ?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by alec78, Dec 8, 2003.

1. alec78

alec78 1/2 ton status

Has anyone ever had a manual hub unlock itself? Either that is happening to me or someone keeps doing it (I know not likely). /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif I keep finding the passanger side unlocked after I am sure I locked it!

Only other option is I'm having a 28 year old equivalent of a Senior Moment! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Of course if it is unlocking itself I have an excuse to by a set of Warn Premiums! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

2. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

Actually had the opposite happen. Damn thing would turn to the lock position (passenger side only). Wore out. Went w/ the Warns, no mo' problems /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

John

3. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Yup. When they get old, they do all sorts of wacky stuff. My problem was that they wouldn't unlock. Kinda made the ride home on pavement a little awkward /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

4. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

if worn then would make sense to have pass side lock in by itself and driver side to unlock itself,

i still would rather have worn out manual hubs along with non 203 case, instead of having 80s auto hubs /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

good luck

5. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

one of the hubs on my old yota would lock itself in, because the spring inside was broken..

6. HD

HD 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    if worn then would make sense to have pass side lock in by itself and driver side to unlock itself,

i still would rather have worn out manual hubs along with non 203 case, instead of having 80s auto hubs /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

good luck

[/ QUOTE ]

I feel your pain, but mines '75 /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

7. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

It's been 20+ years since I messed with a set of the cheapo factory manual hubs. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif But take the hub apart and remove the dial from the housing. On some hubs you'll find a spring loaded ball (like the one that keeps sockets from falling off your ratchet) that pops into a depression at each end of the rotation, to keep the dial from moving by itself. If the spring is broken, then it might let the dial move around on ya. Failing that, keep an eye on the For Sale forum for anyone selling a set of Warn Premium hubs on the cheap. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

8. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

good luck

[/ QUOTE ]

I feel your pain, but mines '75 /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

hehe
    hope you get it solved /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

9. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Well I have been using the stock spicer hubs all my life and the only time I had problems with them was when my bearing went south and over heated the hubs and melted the dial (plastic) otherwise I just routinely after a few trips take it appart and clean it and grease it and it works flawlessly, and unlike the warns it's indestructible all steel no aluminum parts inside.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif