Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

rear 1/4 elliptic help

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by supermanmudracing, Nov 17, 2005.

1. supermanmudracing

supermanmudracing Registered Member

i need help in understanding a rear 1/4 elliptic set up. i have a 1996 chevy s10 that i hill and hole mud race with,the class im running consists of haveing rear leaf springs well we all know regular springs are stiff so im wanting to try something different next year.will they work in a hill and hole mud pitt and is it hard to come up with a game plan?any and all would be thankful

2. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

:confused:

What you wanna know.... This buggy is 1/4 el. front and rear.
    [​IMG]

.... and this one is 1/4 el. rear too!
    [​IMG]

Marv

3. supermanmudracing

my truck is strickly set up for a 250 ft mud pit hill and hole i havent read of anyone using that set up in mud racing where there is speed and jumps,i know its popular in rock crawling.can it be built where the drive shaft and pinion angle wont be in such a bind

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

you need to use a 4 link to locate it. Properly design the 4 link and the pinion angle/driveshaft should have no issues at all. Why do you want a super soft suspension? I don't really know much of mud racing. I'd bet you want a good deal of anti-squat to plant the rear tires.

5. marv_springer

Agreed.....

A good 4 link will have no hop and should work good in the mud. I know my green buggy will roast tires on the street like a dragster :D .....

I have played around w/ using the 1/4 el. springs as upper locating links also. The gray "Beetle" shown above takes advantage of this idea. This can really simplify the suspension, and since leafs are relatively cheap - it might be of interest to you.

Marv

6. supermanmudracing

your right,i dont want much anti squat.the tracks go by suspension set up rules.they say springs in one class and 3 and 4 links in another.so hopefully i could get away with it and run the 1/4 elliptic in the rear and run the spring class.is 1/4 elliptic a spring or a link set up?

7. supermanmudracing

would a 1/4 elliptic and x x link bars work?

8. marv_springer

I would definetly say that any 1/4 el. would be classified as a "link" setup.

Marv

9. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

definetally. Needs at LEAST a 2 link setup.

Like I said, mud I don't know much about but I'd think you'd want a ton of anti-squat. I know in dirt drags(sleds) and car racing, squatting is just lost power. Most efficient transfer of power is when the rear end actually lifts up and plants the traction devices.

10. supermanmudracing

thanks for the input i may stick with my og plan and thats xx with coil over shocks in the rear.

11. justinf

justinf 1/2 ton status

I don't know, when i was mud racing (flat straight tracks), I actually took out over half of the leaves in my rear spring packs. When I launched, the back would squat, giving it more downward force on the rear tires. This gave me a lot better times than with the full leaf packs in.

12. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

like I said I don't know mud racing and only a bit of drag racing but from what I know, squat is just lost energy, slight lift is planting the weight on the tires(pushing down).

13. supermanmudracing

yes mine squats like that but the down fall on leafs is theres no flex and there to stiff when i go over a hill the trucks so stiff it comes off the ground and theres no forgivness so there fore it stays in the air alot

14. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

a good soft leaf spring, good antiwrap setup and good shock combo should work well I'd think.

coilovers will add up QUICK. I've got $300 something in heims for my coil sprung rear and I should have spent the extra for 1.25" heims.

15. marv_springer

just for fun..... an updated action shot!

[​IMG]

Marv