Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rear 10 Bolt Axle for a 90' Suburban

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 82K5_6.5L, Jan 12, 2003.

1. 82K5_6.5L

82K5_6.5L 1/2 ton status

Rear 10 Bolt Axle for a 90\' Suburban

my friend blew the gears in his rear diff. of his 1990 Suburban doing a nuetral drop (which is dumb to do) should he replace the gears on it or get a new axle???

2. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Re: Rear 10 Bolt Axle for a 90\' Suburban

More info on the truck please. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

3. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

IMO, a Suburban should never have come with a 8.5" rear axle. Time for 8-lug /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

that's what I'm saying! not ragging on ya either, we have an 89 sub with 10 bolts /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif, i don't trust those axles farther than i can throw them on something that heavy, especially if it will see any offroad use or abuse. I usually try not to tell everyone to put a 14bolt in thier truck, but this will be an exception, find out what gear ratio the truck currently has and try to find a 14ff with gears to match. you will need to get 8 lug outers for the front axle and buy new wheels and if you want to run 15'' wheels you will need to grind the front calipers.....OR, PM TONYP, he makes adapters to make the 14ff 6 lug so that you can use your existing wheels /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif.

5. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

although the 8.5" always seem to have held up under the late 70;s vans, so hmm.. i never have had a problem with any 8.5" cept til 88 came around, its always the 12 bolts that loose ring gears and yokes

good luck

6. doctor4x4

doctor4x4 1/2 ton status

well i agree go to a stronger rear end mabe even just a step up to the semi floater ?? and then get the 6 lug axles for it or the adapters from tony p that way its a fairly cheep easy quick fix for ya /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

7. AZ_Overdrive

AZ_Overdrive 1/2 ton status

If you decide to go with keeping the 10 bold I have one with 3.73 gears in it. It came out of my 89 Burb in November when I switched to a 14 bolt. Send me an email if interested(it's cheap).