Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rear 4 inch springs on front??????

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by gmcjimmy88, Mar 29, 2005.

1. gmcjimmy88

gmcjimmy88 1/2 ton status

Will a set of rear 4 inch lift springs fit on the front of my truck? It is an 88 gmc Jimmy with the 10 bolts. I already have the springs was going to add them to a shackle flip and put 6 in up front but money is getting shorter so I figured I could use these up front and the shackle flip in the rear. Will this work?

2. 86chevybanshee

86chevybanshee 1/2 ton status

no. that would equal about 8 inches of lift

3. clarkjw24

clarkjw24 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I seen a set of 4" front springs on a board local to you for $50. I can't remember where at though. It was just last night...if I find them I'll post a link. That way you can do the shakle flip and save the rears for later.

4. 86chevybanshee

86chevybanshee 1/2 ton status

too bad u didnt live near me, i have more 4 inch front springs than i know what to do with

5. gmcjimmy88

Not that I am trying to beat a dead horse but I will not be near my truck to measure or look until mid may. Whay will these not work? Are they different lengths? To much arch? If I was near my truck my answers may be answered. Anyhelp here would be great. Thanks everyone

6. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

I dont think it is that it wont work... but depends on how much lift you are looking for.. I was thinkin of doing the same.. but was told a stock rear leaf pack will give you 4" lift right off the bat and drive like ass!!!! :D

7. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Yeah, stock rear springs are longer and have more arch than front springs. You can take stock 52" rears and put them in the front, but you have to move your front hangar forward, pretty much right out to the bumper to allow for the longer springs. That would give you 4". So 4" rear lift springs would give you 4 more inches, so it would be 8.

8. gmcjimmy88

Thanks for all the help guys. Just thought it would be nice. Oh well I get to spend more money now. If anyone has any 4 or 6 in fronts laying around please let me know. Thanks all

9. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

You could put those 4" rears in the rear of your truck, and take your stock rear springs and put them in the front, and not buy anything and have a good 4" lift. There's a lot of guidance on here for moving those front hangars.

10. fliptuner

fliptuner Registered Member

I was always under the impression that this was a good way to get better flex+lift up front? Did I hear wrong.

Also, what's the disadvantage to using a non-wrapped spring up front?

Sorry for the hijack, gmcjimmy88 but I'm sure the answers will be useful to you too.