Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

rear 60 fitment question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mud390, May 11, 2005.

1. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

For the Chevy purists, turn away. Question. Will a Ford rear dana 60 fit in a 84 K5 width wise. I'm sure that the shock mounts and spring plates will need to be moved, but I'm worried about width. The reason I'm asking is because most ford 60's run cheaper than 14 bolts locally. Thanks!

Kris

2. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

the 60 rears should be all the same, width wise, just measure it, but it should be the same.
    but like alot of people will say, a 14b is stronger and IMHO is worth the peace of mind. you shouldent expect to pay more than 200bucks for a 14b, and that is on the high side,
    they are for sale all the time you just have to look, you may want to check the classifieds at pirate to, mabye someone close by to you is selling one.
    HTH

3. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

They all looked close. As far as strength goes, 35's are my limit, mostly due to budget and vehicle capabilities, or lack of. People around here (Little Rock, Arkansas) for some reason think anything 1 or 3/4 chevy is gold. Granted, the 1 ton front end stuff can be, but the 14 bolts can be spendy. My big thing, once again due to budget, is finding a matching rear/front combo or at least common rear to find a front for. 10 bolts are holding strong... HA!

Kris

4. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

I've put Ford and Dodge rear D60's in everything from Scouts to Chevy's and aside from moving spring perches and shock mounts, it's and easy swap. Many of the rear 60's came with 1330 yokes that, IMHO, aren't worth keeping. Upgrade it to a 1350 and call it a day. However, unless you're getting the 60 for $50 or less, it just isn't worth it. The stock axles are not up to anything over 36-38" tires. 72THING used to run a locked rear 60 with 39" TSLs and it ate axles for lunch.

5. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

Rear 30 spline 60's (99% of all stock rears) are only marginally stronger than a 12 bolt. I had the chance to compare a FF rear D60 shaft with one of my old 12 bolt shafts, the 12 bolt shafts measured just over 1.3" (supposed to be 1.31") and the 60 measured around 1.2", both with 30 splines. I only say the 60 is slightly stronger because it is a full floater. Don't waste your time upgrading to a 60 rear, it won't hold up to 35's much better than your 10 bolt in stock form, and upgrading it is way more expensive than a 14 bolt.