Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rear A/C Defrost?????

Discussion in '1936-Present Suburban' started by SIERRA666, Jul 20, 2003.

1. SIERRA666

SIERRA666 Newbie

Just wondering if the rear a/c unit in a burb, can actually warm the rear of the Sub, when front a/c is off and the heat is on, or does it just move the air around.

Just recently got my burban and i am still learning.
    Thanks for the help.!!!

2. woody9

woody9 1/2 ton status

the overhead unit only blows air across the a/c stuff back there. No heating elements or heater core.
    The rear-heat option i believe was a floor mounted unit with a seperate set of hoses/lines running from front to rear.

3. SIERRA666

SIERRA666 Newbie

Thanks for the info i was wondering about that. Wanted to find out before the winter temp gets around -20 to -35.

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I've got a '90 with factory rear heat and air. The rear heat is really installed in a stupid location. It's a roughly 1 cubic foot box, near the rear of the truck, mounted on the floor. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

5. woody9

woody9 1/2 ton status

Harry,
    i've seen those in LMC and such, but never LIVE & IN PERSON.. Don't they sit out from the side a bit (pass side?), and smack-dab in the way of a 4x8 sheet of plywood as well?

I'd guess if you live somewhere where rear heat/defrost was essential, it'd also be a prime location for those pesky Iron Moths! and.. they'd chew on the lines a bit..
    (for you southern boys, iron moths are another name for RUST!!) /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Yep. It's totally in the way! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif They moved it into the side panel starting with the newer body style in '92...

Thankfully, the ol' Iron Moths aren't much of a problem here in Colorado! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif