Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rear air noise

Discussion in '1936-Present Suburban' started by fireinthehole, Jul 29, 2003.

When I turn on my rear air, the fan makes a lot of noise. Does anybody else's do this? If so did you fix it?
    Also, my ac isnt that cold, which probably needs charged and its R12. I hate to see how much that costs /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Mat

1. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Noisy fan usually means either the fins on the fan are broken/breaking, or the motor bearing/bushing is going out. As for the R-12, couldn't tell ya, cause I riped all my a/c stuff out /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. holyjohnson

holyjohnson Registered Member

more then likely the brass bushing inside the fan motor are worn,makes the arm wobble and the fan hit the shroud.if thats the case a new motor will fix it.also what happened on mine is the bushings were worn and the last owner still used the fan,craking the plastic.so i need both motor and new fans.dunno the price i never fixed it i dont like a/c.
    if you need to get it recharged also check the price to convert it from r-12 to 134 maybe cheaper in the long run.
    goodluck.
    p.s. there was a really good write up on here about how condensation effects rear a/c units,you might be interested in doing a search for it.

3. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

Mine made noise because it shifted in its holder and the cage was rubbing and making noise...convert to 134a...its cheaper and does a good job as 12 is $50 a pound.

DW

4. Thanks for the tips. I just got this Sub last Sunday, so I don't know much of its history. This is my 3rd Sub, but the only one to have functioning ac. I will have the system looked at to see the reason for the lack of cold air. I am in Oklahoma right now and its been over 100 almost every day.

Mat