Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

rear automatic window

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by K5Greek, Nov 9, 2006.

1. K5Greek

K5Greek 1/2 ton status

went out and just came back i i noticed my rear window doesnt go up anymore. i know its not the motor cause i hear it working.

i took it apart and it looks like the cable is loose..only problem is its on the other side of the window and i cant reach it. i tried pulling on the window but it wont budge..is there any way to get the window to move or a easier way to see if the cable is unplugged?

2. K5Greek

K5Greek 1/2 ton status

anyone?

3. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

unscrew the cable from the motor and chuck it up in a reversable drill motor. Use the drill to raise the window

4. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

Yeah, the drill method will get it to go up. I had to replace my window cable because my old one rusted itself solid. Its kind of a pita since there is no real room to work and its also hard to see.

If I remember correctly, I bought my new working window cable from Muddytazz......about 2 or 3 years ago. Thanks man. Its still working, and $5 was a lot less than lmc wanted.:D :D
    -Harrison

5. K5Greek

K5Greek 1/2 ton status

good idea but i cant get te cable out from under the window..went to the gmc dealer and talked to a guy and he said maybe the arms are locked or something..

6. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Window goes down, but doesn't go up?

Safety switch on the right side. Blue wires inside the tailgate. Happens all the time. Slam the t-gate, or jiggle the latch on the right.

-- A

7. kw48653

kw48653 Registered Member

i THINK that you can unbolt the sash from the channel while it is down too.

last resort : , )

8. K5Greek

K5Greek 1/2 ton status

well thats what firsdt happend when i went out yesterday..stopped in a kinda bad neighborhood to go pick upsome tranny fluid, and went to put back window up and it wouldnt budge..so i go home unbolt panel and see that the other end of the cable is not plugged in.

so im kinda happy and think its just the cable ..couldnt get the window to come up so i unbolted it from the rail and move it up..figure i would just get cable hooked back up then attach window. wrong..youll hear the motor work when you push the down button but when i puch the up side nothig..

9. K5Greek

K5Greek 1/2 ton status

sorry if that doesnt make sense..its late and im a little tipsy

10. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

The gate must be closed when trying to put the window up as there is a safety switch inside the driver side of the gate that won't allow the window to go up with the gate down. If you need to trick it you need to close the driver side latch by hand then it will work, assuming this is your problem now.

11. mundosk5

mundosk5 Registered Member

i have heard something about adding a ground wire from window motor to body!!but still having trouble

12. K5Greek

K5Greek 1/2 ton status

you were right the switch went bad..didnt feel like getting another one so i just jumped it