Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rear Axel Question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by GDBlazerFun, Jul 8, 2003.

1. GDBlazerFun

GDBlazerFun Registered Member

Does any one know what Trucks & years the GM's Corporate 14 bolt (Light Duty) axels came in?

Situation - I lifted my 87 Blazer 4" about a month ago and JUST bought 35x12.5x15 on Rock Crawler rims 6-lug pattern... Well I was driving to work and my Stock Limited slip 10-bolt rear end grenaded… /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif I've heard / read somewhere that GM made a "Light Duty" 14-bolt rear end with a 6 lug axel that is a very easy swap for little $$$ (like it bolts directly into place.) /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

I'm trying to get as much info as possible... Please help!

I need to get my /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif baby back in the woods where she belongs! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thanks

Greg –

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

somewhere around 88 and up yrs of 3/4ton trucks, might even be under a 1/2ton of the same yrs /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

I dont know what years or models they came in, but I do know that the 3/4 ton 14 Bolt Semi Floaters (they have a 9.5 inch ring gear as opposed to a 10.5 like the "fullsize" 14 bolt full floater), will bolt directly into your application, but, they are very very rare with the 6 lug pattern. Why dont you just get a regular 8 lug 3/4 ton 14 bolt semi floater, and get the 8-6 lug adaption kit? Here is the link: 8-6 Lug Adaption Kit
    -Harrison

4. GDBlazerFun

I'll have to look into that option...

Thanks for the tip!

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Good luck finding a 6 lug 9.5 sf! I looked for one too but couldnt find one that is for a two wheel drive which is what we have to have because of the lug offset. later model rear ends are wider thats why the tires stick out so far on new trucks but the two wheel drives stayed the same.
    Oh did I mention that if you find one they are a fortune. Save the time and go 3/4 ton with the big 14boltff.

85K5 14bolt/10bolt 3/4 ton,9"lift,35"boggers,16.5x14welds,bighorse406SBC/700r4 /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

6. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

No problem. Glad to help. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    -Harrison

7. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    but, they are very very rare with the 6 lug pattern.

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends on where you are. Every 88-up 6-lug 2500 series truck has one. I worked at a GM-only boneyard and there was always more of these on the rack that the plain old 10-bolt. It wasn't a big seller since they generally don't blow up. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

[ QUOTE ]
    Oh did I mention that if you find one they are a fortune.

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends on the yard. Had to sell them at a discount when the 10-bolt stock became exhausted because it meant the shop had to sell their customer on a brake job as well. Even outfitted a few with sway-bar hangers so they could be used on the Burbs.

None of the axles from the 88-98 style trucks fit the 73-87 without changing the perches.

Try www.car-part.com to get current pricing from local yards. Best price looks to be $400 for 4wd, $250 for 2wd, or $350 for van.

8. GDBlazerFun

If I were to go with one out of a 2wd truck... would I also need to change the spring mounts?? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

So does anyone else have anything to add?

Thanks for the Help /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

nope, bolts right in