Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rear Axel

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by blazer72, Apr 14, 2000.

1. blazer72

blazer72 1/2 ton status

4 12 bolts axels have died in the truck now the last one was only 150 miles old! Has any one put a dana 60 or a 6 bolt 14 bolt in to a blazer or early truck? I have used both aruborn and ARB dif's to of the husing have even been broken! And yes I do have alot of tork and lots of gearing. though the rear ends have all had 3.73 gears in them I run a 4500 trany with a 203 rang box and a 205 transfer case so low in about 96 or 98 to 1. Even useing 80% of the given tork it works out to over 46000 LBS at the wheel. Any thoughts on this would be nice.

2. Espen88k5

Espen88k5 1/2 ton status

3. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Well you were kind of shy on what you had for motor and tire size but my guess is a big block and some big tires here. I have 12's in both my trucks and never had an ounce of trouble but my drive line is stock and auto on both.
    I think it's time you step up and go 14 FF and detroit. The way your poping 12's it's the only thing that will stand up to you and the motor you got. 3.73 gear was pretty common in the 14 so you should be able to retain your front axle. The front axle can easily be converted to 8 lug to match the 14. Really the only part you need are the hubs, backing plate rotors and caliper brackets. The rest of the axle including the shafts will be the same. Problem is if your poping the 12 like that then your going to start poping the D44. I would leave the D44 open so your not poping shafts as often.
    Now you can run a 15 inch wheel with a D44 8 lug and 14. They are available in wagon wheel style. Here is the problem. the caliper will hit the rim. Where it hits the rim you can grind down the caliper and get enough clearence to clear the 15 inch rim. A bit extra offset also helps.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper

4. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I have a D60 35spline w/Power-lock 6lug runnin 33inchers in my 72K5!
    I have a mild 350/4-speed & 205xfer.
    I too was able to destroy a 12bolt climbing a hill.
    It took me over 6hrs of driving in front wheel drive to get home so I said never again! So I swaped in the D60 a few yrs ago and have never had any trouble with it!!
    I like the D60 allot and it offers a little better ground clearance as well it's a bit lighter than the tuff 14ff.
    If you would like pics and or specs let me know.
    Later

Rock ON![​IMG] 72 K5 [​IMG]

5. BIGJ

BIGJ 1/2 ton status Author

Your best bet as far as a 14 bolt goes would be to find one off of a 1 ton truck. The spring perches will match up that way. If you can't find a 1 ton truck then any other 14 bolt will do, you just have to move the perches. My bud and I just did this swap on his 72 blazer a few weeks ago. Let me know if you want me to post some pics of the axle on the blazer.

BIGJ