Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rear Axel

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by JIMMY76, Jan 3, 2005.

1. JIMMY76

JIMMY76 1/2 ton status

i can get a rear axel out of a 87 suburban it was runninng untill it rear ended a fatbed semi it s 8 lug im nnot sure and the guy that has it is not sure if it a 1 ton axel or 3/4 ton or if there is a difference and how can i tell if its a f/f but either way i will get it all i have to do is un bolt it and i can have it for $70. is that a good deal?

2. GMCLegacy

GMCLegacy 1/2 ton status

it is most likely a semi floater (SF).

you can ID by whether there is a protruding hub with an addition 8 bolts holding the axle shafts. if it has the 8 bolts, it is a full floater (FF). if it is a semi floater, it will look similar to a 1/2 ton axle.

the pumpkins are also different, maybe someone else can explain that difference in words.

see what ratio is, and for 70 bucks it sounds like a decent deal. if the brakes need replacement, convert it to disc brakes. it is about the same cost of repairing the drums. just say no to drum brakes.

3. JIMMY76

JIMMY76 1/2 ton status

yes the hubs have the bolts one the end whats does that make it. im kinda new to these bigger axels only ever messed with 1/2 ton stuff. thank you

4. GMCLegacy

GMCLegacy 1/2 ton status

see edit

5. JIMMY76

JIMMY76 1/2 ton status

cool thanks i dont know what the ratio is not to worried about it its atleast a 4.10 right im probably put a detroit back there anyways. where can i get the disk conversion kit ? and if there is do you know who has the 8 lug conversion for a d44 for my front end im going to keep looking for a 60 but its neer imposible to find a wrecked 3/4 or one ton 4x4 around here in the u pull it yards

6. GMCLegacy

GMCLegacy 1/2 ton status

it could be 3.73, 4.10, or 4.56

everyone and there brother sells discconversion brackets it seems. ebay has boat loads, and most 4x4 shops online.

nobody sells an 8 lug conversion for d44s, your best bet is to find a 3/4 ton d44 or 10bolt and rob the spindles-on-out. or swap the whole axle to get the right gear ratio. id recomend staying away from the early d44s with the external lockout hubs.