Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rear axle about to come out??? Up and Down movent??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 89K1500Chevy, Feb 11, 2003.

1. 89K1500Chevy

89K1500Chevy 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gifI was told that i was about to lose my left rear axle by the chevy dealership so tomarrow at school we are pulling the cover and the axle to see whats going on in there.... The dealership said the axle was moving up and down but i have not been leaking rear dope or anything so idk what to think but im leaving my truck at school till i get it worked out as i dont want my new wheels and tires passing me on the road /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif as that would not be a good thing but it would prob. look funney.. Ive been told that a little in and out movement is ok and normal is that true? I have new bearings and seals put in 2 years ago and a new Auburn limited slip locker and 3.73 gears so all that leaves is the old axles in the 10 bolt. thanks for anyinfo on this as im not sure whats going on back there it was clickin but then stopped making it and i never found anything wrong in the housing i checked 3 times and am tired of pumpin dope back in from finding nothing wrong.. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

A little in and out is normal. Anything more than a little and it could drop a C-clip though. The slot at the end of the axle shaft wears over time. Eventually there is just enough slop that the C-clip can drop out with the cross shaft still installed.

I had this happen to a 7.625" 10 bolt in an S-10 and I almost lost the axle and tire.

Rene

3. 89K1500Chevy

89K1500Chevy 1/2 ton status

Well i checked today at school and there is nothing wrong that we could find. No up and downmovent Damn chevy dealership had me watchin my damn tires to see it was about to fly out and pass my ass I mean wtf they must be somking something back there in the shop... /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif