Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rear axle bearing ?s

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Panther, Dec 19, 2000.

1. Panther

Panther 1/2 ton status

Hey everybody. When I had my truck (90 k5) in the shop for the tranny, the guys there IDed the whine as coming from my 10-bolt factory rear axle (which I suspected).

They took a look at it and found out the bearing in the input of the axle is bad and leaking (driveshaft to axle bearing). As a result, the u-joint should be replaced and some other parts (bearings, gaskets, etc) while they are in there.

They didn't take the cover off to check the gears though.

I don't know if I can stand the K5 grinch stealing more Christmas this week, so I wanna know if it can wait. I was gonna take the cover off and check the gears to make it's not gonna grenade on me.

Are there other things I should worry about (besides U-joint failure and keeping the oil topped off) if the gears are ok. Will it last another 2 weeks still driving it?

Thanks everybody!

<font color=blue>"You call it clearance, I call it head room." [​IMG]</font color=blue>

2. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Which bearing are you talking about exactly? Are you referring to the pinion bearing(the one behind the yoke where the driveshaft bolts on, or the actual axle bearing which the axle rides on?

It is hard to say how long somehtign like that would last without seeing it and knowing how much play is in the bearing and race.

It is always better to fix it now, then to wait for it to break and take other things with it which would make it more expensive to fix!

Example 1: I had a pinion bearing with some slop, i put it off for a while and it eneded up letting go and breaking the ring and pinion. Plus it fudged up my housing, so now I need a new 44 housing.

Example 2: I had a u-joint going bad. THis u-joint is the front one in the rear driveshaft. I knew it was going bad, but put it off for a little while. Well i let go the last time I drove it and it also broke the slip yoke and I may have a problem with my t-case(have gotten to look under it since it broke)

HTH

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; http://emmett.coloradok5.com

3. Panther

Panther 1/2 ton status

It's the pinion bearing (I am almost sure [​IMG] ). I guess I will make alternate transportation plans for my holiday! I really don't feel like having to take the 12-bolt outta the 74 right now.

Thanks Mike!

<font color=blue>"You call it clearance, I call it head room." [​IMG]</font color=blue>