Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rear Axle Bearings Corporate 10

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by engdray, Apr 6, 2003.

1. engdray

engdray Registered Member

The problem started as just a little vibration...3 months later after the snow and cold has gone, I find out the rear wheel bearings are going bad. I pulled the wheels, diff cover and tried to take out the locking bolt on the center pin. To my surprise it came out relatively easy, except only part came out about, 6 threads the rest of the bolt is still through the pin. Could this have been a stress fracture? I used a little wrench with very little effort so I can't imagine breaking it. This is the first time I've ever tried to pull these axles. How can it be fixed? drilling and easyout would be near immpossible because of access and its only a 1/4" bolt. What can I do? /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Good thing you broke it and it didnt break while driving and the cross pin come out and eat your diff! If all the threads from the pin came out you can juts pull out the rest of the pin. Theres only a few threads on it the rest is a pin that goes throught the cross pin.

3. engdray

Unfortunately not all the threads came out. I tried for a good hour to see if that was the case but no luck, still tight.

4. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

Please fill out your profile.

I think there is a tool you can purchase from the Snap-on guy made for getting that pin out when it breaks.

5. 91k5NC

91k5NC 1/2 ton status

hey man same thing happend to me i just drilled the rest of the bolt out and the centerpin just slid right out. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. engdray

How does it work, will I need to cut the carrier?

7. engdray

This is looking like the first option. Thanks

8. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

When this happened on my 10 bolt (before I trashed it) I drilled two small holes through the carrier where the bolt is (one where the end of the threads is and one where the end of the bolt should be) and used a pick to push the bolt out, then the cross shaft came right out. I bought a new bolt first so I could see where I should drill. I don't think it really effects the strength too much, plus I knew I was going to a 14 bolt within the year. Good Luck /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif