Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rear axle bearings on a 89 k1500 'burb

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by hotrodelko, Oct 7, 2006.

1. hotrodelko

hotrodelko Newbie

OK, I'm a new member here and still trying to get the feel for the place, but from what I've see, I love it! I have an axle bearing rumbling on my 89 'burb k1500 and was hoping someone might give a few pointers on what I'm up against replacing this, or if I need to hire the professionals! I need to get ready for hauling the snowmobiles, and losing an axle would suck! Would appreciate any help/hints anyone can offer.

Shawn
    89 k1500 'Burb- stock 6.2 diesel
    68 C-20 Custom Camper beater w/ a 350

2. JohnDeere

JohnDeere 1/2 ton status

welcome to ck5. if ur axle bearing went out then dont frive it before anymore damage is done. If the axle bearing is real bad it may of damaged your axle. it will put little shaves or scatchs in it and when u put a new bearing in it will cause it to go out quicker. it can also alow your diff oil to come out. I just replaced mine axle bearing and had to get new axles because the old ones scatched up my axles. I didnt even think the little bit that was scatched would make a differnce but i was told that it would just keep getting worse. The axle bearing should be pressed in. but you could take it out with a sliding hammer and maybe able to knock it in with a rubber hammer. i took mine to a machine shop and he did both for 30 bucks but my axle was out of the truck and dismantled.

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

First thing I'd say is, if this isn't your primary vehicle, pull the axleshaft and as mentioned above, check for wear. They make repair bearings that will "save" an axleshaft.

Many times, what is thought to be an axle bearing rumble, really isn't.

4. hotrodelko

hotrodelko Newbie

I know for a fact it isn't the tires.... New tires made no difference. And it is the 'whumpwhumpwhump' sound I've always associated with a bad bearing. doesn't matter if I have it under load or just coasting....kinda eliminates pinion bearing. anyway.. thanks for the info, and thanks for the welcome!