Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rear axle bumpstops

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Blue85, Sep 19, 2000.

1. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

What are people running for bumpstops in the rear after lifting the truck? If you have lift blocks, the axle can now travel higher by the amount of the lift. When combined with bigger tires, can't that mean tire in body? I would also hate to see the tops of the U-bolts push through sheet metal. It could all be measured and calculated out and then a longer bumpstop attached to the factory bracket, I suppose.

On my rig I haven't done anything yet, but I wondered what everyone else is doing.

'85 JIMMY
    '90 paint/grill/trim 5"susp 33/12.5/16.5
    Fresh 350 B&M '87 TH700

2. Wheels

Wheels 1/2 ton status

I put 6" Superlift soft ride springs on the rear and 4" Energy Suspension bumb stops. These are 2" taller than the stock ones. The front got a 4" Por Comp with ORD shackles. The 79 actually sits level now with 33 BFG's. I'll dig around and see if I can find the sales ticket and get the part # for the stops.

3. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

I've got the Energy bumpstops on all four corners of my truck. I just put them on last week so I've got the paperwork sitting right here. They are 4.5" tall, 4.5" long, and 2.5" wide. The part number is 9-9104R (the R is for the red ones). I haven't "used" them yet so I'm not sure how firm they are but they seem like they'll be pretty decent. I'm sure I'll find out what they're like some day, after all I did break off one of the smaller stock ones some how.

Joe
    RIT Mini-Baja http://www.rit.edu/~bajawww
    Team Mudnuts http://www.mudnuts.org

4. CBLAZER81

CBLAZER81 1/2 ton status

Maybe I don't understand your question but,a 4" block won't change the amount of travel you'll get out of a stock spring.If any thing it'll keep your tires away from the body.It lowers the axle away from the body/frame.If you're worried about the U-bolts,cut them off,AFTER they're installed,making sure to leave enough to work with in the future.

Chuck Dirks
    81 Blazer
    Colorado,USA

5. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

I don't actually have blocks on my truck anymore, but the issue that I'm thinking about is this: The bumpstops in the rear hit on the axle tube and not on the U-bolt bracket like in the front. So the bumpstop will allow the spring and U-bolts to travel up 4" more, or however tall the blocks are. Maybe the spring can never flex that far, though, I don't know.

If you use springs or shackle flip in the rear, the bumpstops limit the upward movement just like they would if you were stock. The only difference is that now you probably have a bigger tire, so it can reach up further.

'85 JIMMY
    '90 paint/grill/trim 5"susp 33/12.5/16.5
    Fresh 350 B&M '87 TH700