Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

REAR AXLE CHOICES FOR STOCK REPLACEMENT

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 90STYLE, Jun 26, 2002.

1. 90STYLE

90STYLE Registered Member

If one were to break their stock rear axle setup... what other axle is a bolt in? I cant seem to find any 10 bolt 3.73 complete rear ends to swap out. sombody told me that a 96 z-71 14 bolt semi floater has 6 lugs and bolts in?? can anybody comfirm or deny???

2. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

The 14 bolt sf's are available in a 6lug version, but like you said, only in the 88&up body style pickups and the spring perches are further apart than on your K5, and the whole axle is wider too. So in other words it is not "bolt-in" but if you moved the perches it would be pretty trick. When I broke my first rear axle, I just got a 12 bolt rear from an early 70's truck (with 3.73 gears) and it bolted right in (with the exception of an adapter type u-joint.)

3. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

I think your only bolt-in 6-lug options are a 10-bolt and a 12-bolt. Not all 12-bolts will bolt directly in either. You can bolt in a 14B FF, but those are 8-lug. You can also do the 90's 14BSF in 6-lug, with just a little spring perch and shock mount modification, which can be done by a driveline or machine shop. The width on these is actually better, since it more closely matches the front track width.

The other "all-bolt-in" option is to get an 80's 14Bsf (most likely candidate is a 3/4-ton suburban) and then get the axleshafts and drums from a 90's 14Bsf. Then everthing can be put together in your garage.