Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rear axle Dana 60 vers 14 bolt FF

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Z3PR, Aug 13, 2005.

1. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I've been hearing alot about the D60 rear axle lately on a few different sites. So I thought why not post up and see what everyone would choose and why.

2. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

14 bolt for me, strength wise they are about equal but you can go 7.17's in a D60 and only 5.13's (rumored 5.38's) with the 14 bolt. A locker for a 14 bolt is way cheaper than for a D60.

3. Chaddy

Chaddy 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

a 60 has more clearence

4. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Comparing those two is not fair. The 14FF is more in line as the D70 rear. You are kind of in the wrong ballpark here.

5. MNorby

MNorby 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Isn't there a decent weight difference too?

6. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

Pretty good weight difference. Of course both can be made lighter but in the end the 60 will still be lighter. As for clearance that can be addressed with a fair amount of work on the 14 Bolt.

My choice is and as far as I can see always will be the 14 Bolt. Common, cheap, Only real draw back is gearing selection but I'd rather gear the T cases and leave the axle ratio in the 5.13 range anyhow. My .02.

7. mudslinger99

mudslinger99 1/2 ton status

Here is some info on Dana 60 and Dana 70 just for comparison..

Dana 60

Applications: Front and rear
    Type: Semi- and full-floating
    Spline count: 16, 23, 30, 32 and 35
    Factory ratios: 3.54:1 through 7.17:1
    Maximum tire size for stock axle: 38.5-inch
    Weight: 505 Pounds
    Strong point: Available in a variety of widths, most of which were full-floaters
    Weak point: The driver-side carrier bearing was known to spin on the carrier and this often spun the race, which can damage the housing
    Junkyard jewel: A heavy-duty front '60 can be found on '78 and '79 ¾-ton Ford pickups equipped with the snowplow package. Some late '70s and early '80s Dodge trucks had 35-spline '60 rear axles. Rear '60s are easy to find
    Building secrets: The spider-gear roll pin is small and hollow, and is prone to breakage. Builders often double up the roll pin for extra strength (slide one inside of another). Also, replace the pinion yoke with a 1350-series yoke for extra strength. Finally, be careful about the spline count. Look for the 32- and 35-spline axles, avoid the 16s and 23s
    Aftermarket alternatives: Currie Enterprises, DTS Custom Service, Dynatrac, Custom Differentials
    The venerable '60 has been available in either high- or low-pinion designs and was never used in an IFS application. Custom Differentials warns to steer clear of the rare but virtually identical Dana 61 because most of the parts are not interchangeable

Dana 70

Applications: Front and rear
    Type: Most full-floating with some rare semi-floating in commercial applications
    Spline count: 23, 32 or 35
    Factory ratios: 3.54:1 through 7.17:1
    Maximum tire size for stock axle: 44-inch
    Strong point: Large teeth on ring-and-pinion
    Weak point: Small diameter pinion shaft (same as found on Dana 60)
    Junkyard jewel: Rarely seen but known to exist are open-knuckle front axles with disc brakes. A rear heavy-duty '70 was fitted under '73-'91 Chevy dualie pickups, and it has larger-than-normal carrier bearings
    Building secrets: When rebuilding, make sure that any stock oil-restricting device is left in the pinion area. This keeps lube in the pinion-bearing area at a higher level and retains it longer. Custom Differentials says that a number of '70s come to them with the oil-restricting devices removed
    Aftermarket alternatives: Dynatrac, Custom Differentials
    Notes: One of the benefits to a '70 is that there are a number of different pinion yoke sizes available, including a 1410-series yoke. Be careful though, because different housing castings used different sizes of pinion bearings due to different sizes of pinion bores.

8. k5freak44

k5freak44 1/2 ton status

from what i understand a dana 60 rear is more along the lines of a 14bsf and a dana 70 is statistically closer to 14bff.

9. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

Comparing a D60 to a 14BFF is just stupid in a fullsize. No way that D60 is going to be stronger then a 14b in stock form. Get a 14bff, live mwith the extra weight down low. 5.13's are plenty anymore and that pinion gears gets to be itty bitty. And ground clearance is better on a D60 but if you shave a 14b and make it smooth it will slide over everything.

10. mudslinger99

mudslinger99 1/2 ton status

That's about right..

11. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

I'll keep my FF rear 60 as apposed to a 14SF anyday....

Way more options - gears, lockers Limited Slips etc....

12. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Thats what I tried to tell everyone up above in my post. No one listens around here anymore. :surepal:

13. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

I'd rather have that D70 you have though.... :grin:

14. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

If the 60 is a semi floater, and only if its a semi floater. if its full float then its going to be in between the 14 bolts.