Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rear axle interchangability

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Pure Insanity, Jul 29, 2001.

1. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

Ok its my understanding that all 73-91 GM trucks will interchange the rear axles, 10 blt, 12blt and 14sf&ff. W/ the exception of the 1 tons.

I was calling around my area looking for a rear 10 blt for flblazer's blazer, and the guy at the counter ( who I know is knowledgeable having known him for several yrs ) argued that there is differences in the yrs of blazer and the truck wont interchange (as far as 10 blts go, thats all we dicussed)

I was correct wasnt I?? I hope I was.[​IMG]

Out of 100,000 sperm, YOU were the fastest?? [​IMG]

2. Pure Insanity

I understand that all they have to go by is the Hollanders book/ computer, and dont know about swaps more than likely,but I am almost positive I am correct. You may have to change U joints and other incidentals but they will swap w/ minimal hassels right??

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

it would be 73-87 pick-ups 1/2 and 3/4 ton. K5's 73-91, Subs from 73-91 1/2 and 3/4 ton.

The computer is prolly tripping over the 88-91 pick-ups which were the new body style...also the computer might be getting picky with 28 and 30 spline 10 bolts etc. It would be looking for exact matches, not what actually fits.

I'd say you were right.

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>

4. Pure Insanity

That sounds logical Rene. I didnt think of that. What I said exactly was a blazer 10 bolt. he asked what yr and I said it doesnt really matter theyre all the same,trucks, blazers, and subs 73-91, gimme an 85. And the debate began. He looked and then gave a ridiculous price of $550- 650.00! I think I made him mad.[​IMG]

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

LOL...I hate parts guys some days. Not all of them but some can be class'A' jerks. I guess they hate being told whats what.

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>

6. Pure Insanity

Honestly I would think this guy inparticular would know better, he has worked in this area for as long as I can remember, and were all a bunch of rear end blowing mud boggers around here. AND if I remember correctly he himself had a 70s K5 w/ d 60s and 44 hawgs "back in the day".

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Well, since the 10 bolts actually didn't come out until the 80's or so, the computer is technically right. However, since you said 1985, that year, all 10 bolts were the same.

Hollanders won't list them as an interchange if there are too many differences. Some of the differences would/could be the hubs, yokes, etc., and if a yard tried to sell someone a 12 bolt or Dana 44 to put in an '86 K5, more than likely, that person would be coming back to bitch about the yokes being different, etc.

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>
    No anti-theft measures on your truck? No pity when its stolen