Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

rear axle question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by devilsquid, May 5, 2004.

1. devilsquid

devilsquid Registered Member

Right now I've got the stock 10 bolt w/ 2.73 (pretty sure). Changed the oil in the rear diff over the weekend and noticed the spider gears are looking a little rough. I'm wanting to change the gears anyway (to 4.56). This brings me to my questions...
    Where is a good place to get the gears? Looked around on the internet and found several places that sell them. Are there places I should stay away from?
    Should I just try and save up and get a better axle, or will the 10 bolt be fine? This is my DD and I don't get to take it off road much. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Thanks a bunch
    PJ

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

It basically comes down to your needs of your rig. But if all you want to do is regear your 10bolt, I've had great service from Randy's Ring and Pinion in the past /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Muley

Muley 1/2 ton status

I had the same dilemma, when the carrier was going out on my 10-bolt. Fix it or upgrade. I went the upgrade option. I got a 14FF for the price of labor on getting the 10 bolt fixed. Then I was only another 100 bucks or so on all the little peices that I needed to make the swap. Of course then you have to figure in the cost of upgrading the front axle if you are going to 8 lug in the rear.

All depends on what you want to spend, and how much of the work you are planning on doing yourself. That key would be finding a rear axle that has the same gearing as the front, and is good condition so you do not have to throw any money at it to make it road worthy.

Just something to think about.

4. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

If you plan to just drive it on 33's awhile, you could get by on a r+r with junkyard axle. My 10 bolt broke and I went 12 bolt with lockright. Eventually you (me too I'm sure) will probably go over to the darkside anyway...........Big Tires, Trimming etc. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

5. devilsquid

devilsquid Registered Member

I'm thinking I will stay with the 10 bolt for a while. I don't get to go wheeling very often at all so it spends most of it's time on the road taking me to work and back. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif I'll start looking for new axles but I'm not in any hurry.
    Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    I'm thinking I will stay with the 10 bolt for a while. I don't get to go wheeling very often at all so it spends most of it's time on the road taking me to work and back. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif I'll start looking for new axles but I'm not in any hurry.
    Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ] I just can't see spending money on a 10 bolt rear axle. I say dive it as it is till it breaks, then upgrade to a 14 bolt FF.

7. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

Randy's Ring and Pinion has the best customer service of any company I have ever dealt with before. And I dont just mean car parts companies, I mean any company. Oh, and their Yukon Gear r&p is pretty nice too.
    -Harrison