Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rear Axle Ratio

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by FL84K5, Aug 31, 2002.

1. FL84K5

FL84K5 1/2 ton status

Ok I ATTEMPTED to figure out my rear axle ratio without pulling the cover. In the spot on the rear axle tube where my shop manual says the code should be stamped, I have GM32? I have no clue what it means, and its not listed in the RPO Code section of my manual. There isnt a sticker in the glovebox either. The sticker on the fender under the hood GQ1 which is listed as Axle Ratio - Stud Rr. and then Code G80 - Axle - Rear/Locking Type, which I assume is a Gov-lock? I jacked the truck up and turned the tire until the driveshaft made 1 revolution. The tire made about 3/4 revolution. Is this the correct way to do this? I thought the tires was supposed to make around 3 turns? /forums/images/icons/confused.gif Monday I might pull the cover off, what would you guys recommend to seal it back up? What type of fluid do I need to put if since I just found out I have a Gov-Lock? Thanks in advance

2. 83PJW

83PJW 1/2 ton status

yes to do it corectly you need to pull off the diff cover. that way it is without doubt what your ratio is. to seal it back up go and but a 2 dollar gasket at your local auto store it is the best way to go.

3. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

tryin to get those gaskets around here is like pullin teeth. i just use blue RTV or gasket maker

NITRO

4. FunBlazer

FunBlazer Registered Member

Re: Rear Axle Ratio *DELETED*

Post deleted by FunBlazer

5. Txstruck

Txstruck Registered Member

Just spin the back tire one full revolution and watch how many time the driveshaft turns. That will get you close and some where to start from.

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

In the time it takes to jack a tire, spin it, scratch yer head, post a question here asking about it you could have pulled the cover off, cleaned the guts with some Brake Kleen, put the cover back on and filled it up with 80W90 and had time left over to drink a beer. The ratio is stamped on the edge of the ring gear and the diff could probably use a service anyways.

Rene

7. FL84K5

FL84K5 1/2 ton status

Actually it would have taken longer. I would have had to run to the parts store becasueI dont have Brake Kleen, or the rear gear oil, and the parts store is quite a ways from my place, and it was way to late to do that. Rain ended up moving in, so by the time I would have got back it would have been to late to do anything. PLus, my head itched so I needed to scratch it anyways. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif Tomorrow Im going to pull the cover. So just regular 80W90? Or do I need something special for the Gov-Lock? How much fluid does it take?

8. tRustyK5

Just regular 80W90 is fine. The Gov-Lock doesn't require any additive or anything. If you have a 10 bolt it should be 4.2 pints, 12 bolt is 4.5 pints. Fill it to just under the edge of the fill plug...

I use regular RTV for diff cover gaskets.

Rene

9. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

I agree to pull the diff cover. Go ahead any buy GL-5 80W 90. It will work with a gov lock and won't hurt an open diff. Use some high temp RTV to seal the diff cover back. I wont touch Brakleen...it's crap. Use Albany or if you wan't cheap, NAPA brand.

10. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

BrakeKleen is crap? Why do you say that? /forums/images/icons/confused.gif I've been using it for years with no problems...... I'm sure there's another couple of hundred guys here who use it on a regular basis as well.

11. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

No offense was intended. I think that because Brakleen (in the red can right?) costs $1.50 per can more than my favorite (Albany), evaporates more slowly, and does not dissolve as much crud it is not the good choice. Just because lots of people use it does not make me a believer. In My Opinion, Albany is the best while (at $11.39 per case of 12) NAPA brand is the best buy (it works pretty good and will kill the #%$# of of flying insects).

12. tRustyK5

Well if 6 or 7 seconds is too long to evaporate then i guess you're right...:rolleyes:

I wan't personally recomending one brand over another...honestly I think the gear lube you choose is much more important than the brake cleaner you use.

Rene

13. FL84K5

FL84K5 1/2 ton status

Woohoo!!! 3.73s!!!! I know thats probably nothing to get excited about, but I was afraid I had 3.08 or soemthing. 3.73 wont be as bad when I put 38's on until I can get 1 ton axles with better gearing. Just have to take it really easy offroad till then. Very very easy. /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

14. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
  15. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> That's helpful, as usual. </font color>

16. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

You know you can learn some other cool stuff by reading all the numbers off the ring gear stampings....

The month and date of manufacture are also on there. Maybe some other stuff too, but that was interesting enough for me. Helps if you get a 14BFF of unknown origin and you need to figure out what year to tell the local parts guys when you need brakes or bearings, etc.

/forums/images/icons/cool.gif