Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

rear axle seal

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by NYC K5, May 4, 2000.

1. NYC K5

NYC K5 1/2 ton status

yesterday on my way to school to take a final the oddest thing happened i would tap the break and my brakes would lock up. i quickly turned for home. when i got there i pulled all the weels off to inspect the brakes. of coarse the problem was with the last one i pulled. any way there was this black hichly frictionable substance in the rear drum. im 99% sure its the rear axle seal leaking, but i thought that oil was a lubricant, i guess under brake heat it breaks down and becomes super frictionable. i was driving in the mud the 2days before, but it wasnt deep and i really dont think thats it. anyway i pulled the drum again after about 100 miles and it looked fine. any therois would be appreciated.

2. Your wheel cylinder may have squirted out some juice onto the pad or like you said the seal could be and probably is leaking. When either fluid mixes with dirt,grime and asbestos it causes for one sticky situation. It will lock a pad up with a quickness.

[​IMG]<font color=red>BigBurb[​IMG]
    <font color=purple>IF YOU'RE SCARED, SAY YOU'RE SCARED !!

3. Truckfan2

Truckfan2 1/2 ton status

ahhh... that doesn't sound like what happened to my brakes. The rear axle seals were chewed up from rust on the axle shaft that I put in to replace the 5 lug on a 12 bolt. The fluid was all over the brake pads and I had driven in mud since that happened (on the way to get new seals and pads) lol. Well, my truck would barely stop without doing a front flip... I pulled the shafts out replaced the seals and used emry cloth on the bearing surface of the shaft. Anyway, back to the subject... doesn't sound right with it locking up with 90wt oil on the pads but it could very well be. Replace the seals and look for what could have caused them to leak. e.g.- surface rust

NEVER been stuck... *yet*