Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

rear axle seals on a 10 bolt gov loc axle

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 87sm465np208, Oct 1, 2002.

1. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

how hard is it to take the axles out of a gov loc, im fimilair with open diffs, what has to be taken out to remove the axle? i know once the drum is off you and you have stuff apart in the rear axle, you just push the axle inward and the c-clip falls off the axle and you can remeove it, because my rear axle seals are leaking big time, and i would like to fix it, and do i have to fill the diff up with anything special like a limited slip tranny additive or somthing?, thanks guys. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

2. 87sm465np208

i need help with this /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif

3. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

They should be just like an open diff. Except you may have to rotate the diff around so you can see the C-clips and axle ends.

4. 87sm465np208

ok, yea i might be doin this weekend, or maybe i will put some heavier gear lube in to see if this helps slow the leaking, its not real bad, but you can see that they are spraying the tires with lube on the back side, and stuff like that, i read the manual you gotta take out the lock bolt and pull the center pin out just untill you can see the c-locks and have the pin against the top of the case, its just last time i had the cover off the diff just looked so complicated, we will see how this weekend goes, /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

5. 87sm465np208

yea i talked to my bud, he can get the seals from car-quest for 2$ a peice, that means if i eliminate the leaks at the axles it will only be leaking on the yoke, and the cover gasket /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif. god damn oh well, and if gear lube is all over the tire, is this a sign of the seals gone bad or what? or am i just gunna replace the seals for no reason and get mad? thanks guys. /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

6. oatsk5

oatsk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

the oil on the inside of the wheels is a sign another is if there is sign of leaking on the back side of the brake asembly and if u do the axle seals you'll have to pull the cover so you will kill three leaks in one shot /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif