Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

rear axle shock mount questions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by stretch67, Dec 4, 2003.

1. stretch67

stretch67 1/2 ton status

i am using a 1974 14 boltff in a 1971 truck frame. i have to redo the shock mounts.i know gm went from a front of axle shock mount on both sides to a rh front lh rear. is this the best way to do the mounts starting from scratch?also i know the newer trucks had shock mounts outside the frame instead of inside. are wider mounting points better? i would assume not for articulation but for higher speed stability? i switched my spring hangers to the newer wider style with 42.5 spring centers if that makes any difference thanks for any help!! /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

I was in the same boat a few months back. I put a '77 14BFF under my '71 Burb. I debated on what to do with the shocks. For now I cut the stock mounts off of the 14BFF and welded them back on so that I could bolt the shocks up in the factory '71 location.

If you want some ideas, here is a thread showing some good pics of Greg72's set-up. His shocks are mounted out wide like you described. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

I have a different situation brewing. Originally I though I would be putting my Corp14ff that I am building in a 74 that had thrashed upper shock mounts on the frame. Bought a 76 that it will now go in. The upper mounts are fine but I've already cut off the lower mounts from the Corp14 in anticipation of using the MOO setup. I'm now wondering how I can go about using the stock upper mounts without fabricating new lower mounts or welding something back on. Does anyone make lower mounts that will bolt on in the stock location?

4. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

OK the skinny on shocks as I understand it is for best performance they should be spaced as wide as you can get them. Also, the farther they are from 90 degrees off the axle the less effecient they are. So in a perfect world you would want your shocks mounted straight up and down outside the frame. The problem is if you have soft rear springs you can and probably will experience rear wheel hop with this setup. That is why GM angled the shocks on the K5 like they did to help prevent axle wrap and wheel hop. But I have heard from people that say they have no problems with the 90 degree shock setup so who knows /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif