Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

rear axle truss

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by GMMANIAC, Feb 12, 2004.

1. GMMANIAC

GMMANIAC Registered Member

I'm having a slight problem with tire wear in the rear. Seems the tires are wearing alittle on the insides. I was wondering if installing an axle truss will help. I have a 2.5" Superlift system with ORD zero rates and 33/12.5x15 on 10" wheels on my '89 V1500. By visual inspection on level ground it doesn't appear to have bent axle tubes. Any suggestions.

2. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

How is Your bearings?

3. GMMANIAC

GMMANIAC Registered Member

I replaced them about 4yrs ago, they still seem good. I was wondering about the truss because I remember reading an article about Blazer build ups and the guy that wrote it recommended them, however I can't seem to find the article.

4. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Trusses are for keeping the axle housing from folding when there is a lot of stress on the housing, i.e. catching air.

Furthermore, the proper way to install a truss sure isn't just buying some pile of crap aftermarket one and bolting it on.

The proper way is to actually make sure the housing is straight, then putting preload on it (can't remember which way) then attaching the truss to it, which a good one is custom made..............

5. 85m1009

85m1009 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Furthermore, the proper way to install a truss sure isn't just buying some pile of crap aftermarket one and bolting it on.

[/ QUOTE ]

I build every truss I sell on a straight axle housing. Each of our trusses are made to the customers measurements and basically are a custom made to order bolt on truss. If the customers housing is slightly bent the truss will actually force it back straight when tightened down. Here is a link to an article on one of our 12 bolt trusses

6. crawlink5

crawlink5 1/2 ton status

I had a rear that the tubes were flexin. I put a truss on and it worked great. I didn't eat up any more lockrights. Mine was bolt on (homebrew) and not any where close to the quality of the one at MOO (I've never seen one in person from MOO, but they look great in the pic).

7. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I build every truss I sell on a straight axle housing. Each of our trusses are made to the customers measurements and basically are a custom made to order bolt on truss. If the customers housing is slightly bent the truss will actually force it back straight when tightened down. Here is a link to an article on one of our 12 bolt trusses

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you providing the explanation. Totally forgot about your truss. Probably the best engineered truss in the aftermarket community (why doesn't that look like it's spelled right?).