Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

rear axle

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by baldk5, Aug 4, 2001.

1. baldk5

baldk5 Registered Member

i lifted my k5 with a 4" skyjacker lift about 2yrs ago, the rear lift is done with blocks. my problem is that my rear axle is no longer in the center of the wheel well.the pinion angle on my 10 bolt is terribly steep and i go through my share of u-joints. i never lowered the t-case(np241) and i had a longer driveshaft made. anyone have any ideas on how to center the axle and fix the pinion angle? the rear drive shaft is about trashed so before i start moving things back there i don't want to have a shaft built the wrong length. tanks

2. FWP

FWP CRS

I'll try to help you out, hopefully I'm not saying stuff you already know. The pinion angle and t-case angle should be equal and opposite (or as close as you can get it). I would start there, with the driveshaft removed. dropping the t-case is the only method I can think of for the angle there. the rear can be done several ways. Add degree shims to the perches and have the spring studs lengthened, lose the rear blocks and do a shackle flip, or cut off the perches and weld new ones in for the angle you are looking for.

Another thought, Jesse from high angle driveline [​IMG] can make some awesome shafts for extreme degree operation...

Hope that helps you out......

<a target="_blank" href=http://fwp4x4.rockcrawler.com>fwp4x4.rockcrawler.com</a>

3. FWP

FWP CRS

Oh, once you have the angles right, then measure for driveshaft length and have one built. That's how I did my 2.

<a target="_blank" href=http://fwp4x4.rockcrawler.com>fwp4x4.rockcrawler.com</a>

4. baldk5

baldk5 Registered Member

tanks. if i drop the t-case, won't the angles for the front shaft get screwed up? i do think that i'm gonna go with a shackle flip(the home made one)