Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

rear axle

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by DaveK5, Apr 10, 2002.

1. DaveK5

DaveK5 Registered Member

Im having some trouble hear. Im changing my diff. fluid front and rear. I got the front diff changed with no prob at all but the rear fill plug is rounded out and i cant get it out. So I was wondering if i could drill a hole in the cover and maybe put an oil drain plug in it. Will this work or is there some way i can get the rounded on out. Any help is appreciated.
    btw i have a GM 12 bolt rear.

2. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

Hmm....I can't remember what type of plug 12 bolts have. LOL, And I even have one in my truck! If it is the kind that is a square nut that you can fit a wrench around, then try a pipe wrench or a vise grip. Either tool will pretty much destroy the plug, so it would have to be replaced. If it's the kind with a recessed square hole, try findin something that is just slightly too big than the rounded out hole, and hammer it in there. A large allen wrench might work. Grip the allen wrench, or whatever with a pipe wrench or vise grip and give it a whirl. If that doesn't work, then the only other thing I can think of is too drill out the plug with a bit that is slightly smaller than the inside diameter of the threads in the hole where the plug fits. Then use a hammer and chisel or screwdriver to pick out the pieces of the plug that is still left in/on the threads. Being careful of the threads in the housing...Would NOT be good to mess them up. Drillin a hole in the cover to put a drain plug in would work too, just keep in mind that somethin would have to be welded to the cover for the plug to thread into. Hope that helps ya solve your problem. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

3. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I had the same problem and tried to get the fill plug out w/ a EZ-out...all I did was break a few tools and have a EZ-out as a fill plug...I think your solution sounds better.

4. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

If you have access to a welder, you can weld a bolt onto the plug (1/2" bolt or similar), and use the bolt head to get a grip and extract the plug. Then go to just about any hardware store and buy a pipe plug to replace it.

5. 4x4_76

4x4_76 1/2 ton status

Take hex nut that has hole slightly smaller than outside diameter of the plug.Then weld it to the plug and pry it open.Also,when plug gets heated by the welding,it gets off easier.
    Done that a few times,and usually it's worked.