Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rear axles = (Newbie)

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by dgface, Jun 11, 2002.

1. dgface

dgface Registered Member

Have a 87 K5 Blazer with a 10 bolt rearend and the axle bearing went out and put grooves on the axle where it rides on the bearing. My question is: Is the axle trash now with grooves that are on it due to the bearing tearing apart? Can the axle be turned? Not much on rearends and I see there are some great guys in here giving out very good information.THANKS!!

2. JunkYardCrawler

JunkYardCrawler 1/2 ton status

i probly would just toss it and try one from a yard.

3. 86blazerk5

86blazerk5 1/2 ton status

Look at a bone yard or serch the for sale forum on this board, you could probably pick up a use axle for 150 bucks or so and swap the wole thing in for less work and labor than rebuilding your old ine. I bought one from a fellow member on this site about this time last year and it was only 150 bucks for the entire rear end unit. Easy to swap out also. Good luck.
    Ike

4. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

depending on how bad it is you can buy a repair bearing. it is a wider bearing and it is offset a bit. i dont recomen it, but it will work for only a few bones. best thing to do would be to buy new shaft.
    grant

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

You can buy repair bearings, just be careful. I used one, there is noting inherently wrong with the idea, but the bearing I got was setup incorrectly, and leaked the moment I installed it. Sinceyou have to pull the old bearing anyway, this is a moot point, but its a big pain to pull the axle bearing.

6. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

I have a 10 bolt w/ 2.73 gears out of my 1989 Blazer sitting here in my yard.. you're more than welcome to it for a small fee.. or you're welcome to the Axles.. I'm in Round Rock Texas.. fill out your profile so we can all tell where you're from..
    Let me know if you're interested.. I won't railroad you like the junkyard's will... /forums/images/icons/cool.gif /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

7. dgface

dgface Registered Member

hey Rocko sounds like i'm interested and not far from you. I sent you a pm. Get back to me when you can. Thanks

We newbies love all the help we can get!! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

8. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

If interested I have a set of 10 bolts out of a '90 Jimmy, open, w/3.73 gears, front has new pads and Warn premium pads. I need to get rid of these axles, if interested, PM me and we can discuss a price. I live in Abilene, and would deliver part of the way.

9. Mr.Chevy4x4

Mr.Chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

Rocko,
    You '89 rear ten bolt will have 30 spline shafts and his will have 28 spline shafts. Yours won't work for him unless he uses the whole axle.

Mike

10. MR.GADGET

MR.GADGET Registered Member

I got some Superior Axles for My 89 30 spl for $110 each and they are a lot better then stock.
    Try to find some and new bearings and seals then your set.
    Jon