Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

rear axles

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by dean ward, Sep 24, 2001.

1. dean ward

dean ward Registered Member

sorry folks, i dont have a blazer anymore but do have a full size cherokee (almost a blazer). have ya'll thought about using a 9 in. ford or mabe a 8 3/4 chrysler rear axle and redrill for your correct bolt pattern, i've used both in a 7.90 dragster with no problem

2. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

I don't want any part of a F**d on my truck...........LOL

If it ain't broke.......Don't fix it....
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Gokartergo>KLICK</a>

3. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

I've thought of switching to a 9" Ford on more than one occasion, but the expense of fabbing mounts and redrilled axles, coupled with still being a semifloater led me to figure on a 12 Bolt with a full floating conversion.

Special thanks to those lost from IAFF Locals 94 and 854 - You shall never be forgotten
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>

4. michaelm

michaelm 1/2 ton status

stuff that survives in a 7.90 dragster would last a very short time in a hard environment of a 4x4. start with a vehicle that weighs 6000#, throw gear ratios of 6.56 in first times the transfer case low 2 and you have engine torque multiplied 13 times before it even gets to the rear end.

5. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

and the difference between onlyhaven to use the axel at 8 seconds at a time compared to in a 4x4 at hours on end on the trail. It would work in some cases though, my friedn put a 8.75 center section in his toyota, no problems since.

<font color=red>Defeat is not being knocked down, it's not getting back up</font color=red> <font color=black>Stand Strong, Stand United</font color=black>
    <font color=orange> 1955 Willy's</font color=orange>

6. Jason73K5

Jason73K5 1/2 ton status

I'm going to put the 12 bolt out of my Blazer into my '66 Wagoneer. I'll probably find a D44 or 10 bolt for the front. I don't plan (yet) on doing any really hard core wheeling in it, so that should work fine and be much better than the puny stock axles. My '77 Cherokee had D44's front and rear, they seemed to work pretty well at the time.

73K-5: TBI350/TH-400/NP-203/14FF/D44
    Topless, doorless and no tailgate!
    Fresno, CA

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Have you guys ever been to a dragstrip? I know why those guys think certain axles are tough now!!

They get in that waterbox, they spin tires like mad men, then pull forward and just let them catch the dry pavement!! I watched it in horror!!

We make our trucks bounce a lot and I spin tires in mine all the time, but I don't just all the sudden hit a dry spot in the mud and my tires catch.

I figure that drag racing and fourwheeling are just distinctly different on axles. I believe that that front axle is usually the weakest link anyway. As long as you don't break that, you'll be fine. Well, that and the driveshafts.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

8. dean ward

i dont know which is harder on axles, i get my 15in. wide slicks hot and sticky, hold my transbrake down , rev to 6k rpm on a 700hp plus 468 bbc, and release the button, carry all 3500lbs on the rear wheel for 20 ft or more, then shock the axle again with 2nd gear wheel stand... as far as ford parts on your chevy, our dana and new process parts go to all the big three. we need to take ideas from all the 4x4, drag, circle track, nascar, ect. and apply them to our hobby/sport

9. michaelm

michaelm 1/2 ton status

you are doing 7.90 in 1/4 mile at 3500#!!!! wow

10. michaelm

michaelm 1/2 ton status

i plan on using a 9" from these guys in my mustang
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.stockcarproducts.com/rearend.htm>http://www.stockcarproducts.com/rearend.htm</a>
    full floating relatively inwxpensive

11. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

I've had great success in the past with Ford 9" axles, I wouldn't say they are necesarily stronger than the ff14b or Dana60 but be assured its fairly close. The two biggest advantages to the 9" are the weight and the quick-swap carriers which allow you to bring extra gears in case of failure or in the case of the dragstrip a gear up/down. The fundamental difference in use is not necesarily the shock on both tires here, as either way an even shock to both while both connect evenly or slip evenly will most likely result in a broken driveshaft if it should fail. But when the full weight of the vehicle is dropping from side to side, the impact affects a single axle at a time. An 8000lb impact on a single axle as opposed to a 3500lb impact between both are in fact different use cases. Just the same though, I've seen some ford 9" axles on 4x4 trucks take some heavy abuse by the worst of drivers and hold up like champs(even though I'm not a ford person, there are some good ford parts).

What, Me Worry?
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.echobit.com:81/k5/> The 'BEFORE' pictures</a>

12. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

Tim: I think ya just descibed some rock crawling tactics [​IMG]. I have seen quite a few guys on the rocks will have the tries just a burn'n and spinning like mad to kinda burn off moisture or kick off dirt and gravel and usually al of a sudden BAM! Traction. I also agree there are a bunch of things to break and you are really only as good as your weakest link.

DW: I would go for it... since you will need to do work to any GM axle you were to use as well. I've seen Ford 9's handle a ton of stuff in nearly everytype of motorized sport... from offroading and mud pits to drag racing and circle track.

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch</a>

13. dean ward

my apology, let me correct myself, the motor in a #1800 dragster went 7.98, in the #3500 car it went 9.7's, both with a 9 in. rear

14. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

heh. Whats even odder, is that in the trucks, the 10 bolts are considered death, but guys are running 10-12 second cars on slicks, with the verysame (design) 10 bolts. I agree. Trucks and race cars are not an equal comparison on axle strength.

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>
    No anti-theft measures on your truck? No pity when its stolen

15. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Mikey.....ouch!!! That's why I do mud. No traction = no breakage. That's why we don't break our 10 bolt fronts even with 44" tires. No traction.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

16. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

All I know is wheelhop on a slick is far worse than wheelhop on a 35" tire. I know, when my 28x10.5/15 slicks with the 10 bolt on the firebird start wheelhopping it is so violent that it shakes my mirrors out of place, and on several occasions lossened up all the bolts on my motor and tranny, even the torque converter. I have wheelhopped with a 10 bolt in the Jimmy and havent had that violent of a shake. 10 bolts can take alot of abuse if you build it up and use a good carrier. I use an auburn pro in the Firebird with no problems. I have broke the stock spider gears in the blazer, but the had 140,000 miles on them and had all the weight of the blazer on the rear tires climbing a hill thats a 70 degree angle.

86Jimmy 4"&35"MTRs,87 burb 4"&35"MT,69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

17. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

Oh ya we also have a low 8 second 85 mustang running a ford 8.8 rearend. He is pushing over 1000 hp and runs 8.20s at 160 plus mph on 28x10.5W/15 slicks. The car weighs 3200 with him in it. He stands it up on the bumer at least 1 time a week. It pulls the tires a good 1.5 feet in second gear. No problems. It has hardened axles, a spool, c-clip eliminators, and one of those TA diff covers. No trusses, no special axle tubes or anything, its the same one that came in the car.

86Jimmy 4"&35"MTRs,87 burb 4"&35"MT,69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

18. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

I have some pics of my old 79 FS Cherokee on 40s if youd like to see them. They look sweet in the air! [​IMG]

If ya can't stop.......Smile as you go under! [​IMG]

19. dean ward

yes, i would like to see them, i dont ever see any full size cherokees, anymore, thats what i like about it

20. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

Thats why I did it myself. The biggest prob is there are no parts. I need your E-mail. It had 17 in. of lift and 40s! [​IMG]

If ya can't stop.......Smile as you go under! [​IMG]