Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rear Axles

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by IronMan, Nov 16, 2002.

1. IronMan

IronMan 1/2 ton status

A little help...

I was wondering if someone could give me some info on what axles are used on the new GM HD pickups. 14 bolts? Dana 70 or 80's? I would like to use a Dana axle for the rear of my 83' 1 ton. I have an ARB for the front and would like to match up the rear. Can you use the disks in the rear for the older pickups? Has this been done? Any help would be appreciated. Also; I am in the market for bumpers front and rear, but havent been able to find any that I like. I love Bullet Proof mfg's bumpers(http://www.bulletproofmfg.com), but as of yet they do not make any for fullsize rigs. I would like one exactly like their front bumper for Cherokees(FF3LWGH). Anyone make/sell/fabricate anything like this for a fullsize chevy?

Sorry for the long post. Thanks in advance

83' K30 4x4 Reg Cab LB
    500ci Caddy/NV4500/ORD Doubler/Dana 60 Front Rear?

2. coloradoblazers

coloradoblazers 1/2 ton status Premium Member

on the HD trucks, a beefy 14 bolt is used. It has(I think) an 11.5" ring gear, and a harmonic balancer on the yolk. Even bigger that a regular 14 bolt! However, I know of no lockers available now, and there will probly be few in the future for these monsters. The HD should have factory disc brakes, no prob there. If you go regular 14 bolt, there are e-lockers and offrotec vaccum lockers coming soon, but no ARB. not hard to convert to disc, just need the right parts off a front or a kit. Hope this helps a little bit.
    Jake /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

3. OL14BLAZ

OL14BLAZ 1/2 ton status

You might try posting this in the Garage forum--you would probably get alot more responses /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Eric /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

4. bigbluek20

bigbluek20 1/2 ton status

Actually, ARB is supposed to be working on one for the 10.5" 14 bolt. It was originally supposed to be available this month, but has been pushed off another 6 months because of "design difficulties" . This was all as of a few weeks ago (per email to ARB tech support).

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Bwahaahaahaaaaa!!!! An ARB rep told me the same thing, sometime around 1993!!! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif So don't hold your breath....

6. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Yeah, ARB told me that they are just not going to do it. Period. Something about being sued or something. The e-locker is supposed to be available for it soon.

7. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

I'm not holding my breath for the ARB, they have so much going with filling diffs worldwide that I don't think a couple million 14 bolts are too big a deal. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif
    I'd recommend using a 14FF with whatever selectable locker becomes available first. You could look for a D70 from a ford, that's the usual route to adding an ARB to the back of a heavy duty GM. Trail Ready has some nice "folded sheet" style bumpers for the big GM's, you might check out their site. We're selling their bumpers and they are really nice. You get what you pay for.