Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

rear bearings...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by s373n_rcr, Apr 17, 2004.

1. s373n_rcr

s373n_rcr Registered Member

Anyone have any tips or tricks for pulling the bearings from the tube ends on a 10-bolt? I've got a puller/slidehammer combo that will barely budge it. I am assuming it's rust/brakesh*t gummed up in there. I've soaked them and soaked them more. Heating them is out as I have no oxy/acetylene torches here. Anything else to try or just keep on soaking?

Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I used a pretty big slide hammer and it still took a LOT of pounding to get those bearings out of the mini-10 on my S-Jimmy. It would work best with a tool that could expand and grab the bearing on both sides. But all my kit has are hooks and such so I just turned the tool from one side of the bearing to the other on each whack. It took a while, but it came out of there! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. s373n_rcr

s373n_rcr Registered Member

yeah, I guess it's alot of patience and hammering. I'm at the point of rigging something up /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif with a pulling plate, backing plates against the frame/springs and a couple of hydraulic bottle jacks to push the puller/plate/bearing out. I'll whack at it some more.

4. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

They sell adapters for the big slide hammers, my set came with 3 diffrent sizes. Never had an issue using them.

5. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Take the seal out first. Should come out no prob with the correct slide hamer.