Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

rear blocks are not all that bad, really

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by four_by_ken, May 23, 2002.

1. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

Front blocks, this is not a post for them. They are a horrible idea.

But, rear blocks are not a bad thing. They allow the use of a lesser lift spring, which allows more flex. Yes, a shackle flip is better, also not the point of this post.

I run 2 inch blocks and will continue to.

I have a friend that has a 600+ hp truck with 2 inch rear blocks,and 44 inch Boggers. Never a problem. Even competed in TTC with them. Just need to make sure the u-bolts stay tight. But, you should do that anyways.

Just some ranting and raving.

Ken H.

2. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Blocks SUCK!!!!!!!
    Ok OK maby a 2" block is not all that bad but any taller and axelwrap city!!!!!!
    Now I'm only talkin outa my butt from my own experance. If you have an older rig and you toss 4" blocks under the factory springpacks that is all the ingredients you need for a TWISTED rearend and some major Hop Hop Hop all the way up that hill.....
    few I fell better now/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif
    Ok I need more coffee..........

3. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

I agree that taller blocks are the problems.

Shorter blocks, say, under 4", are acceptable IMO. I would say anything over 4" is too tall and needs to be changed to a shackle flip or new leaves.

4. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

Ok, is this from personal experience or just what you have heard?

I agree excessive blocks are bad, but under 4 inch I dont see a problem. 600+ horse and 2 inch blocks. If he didnt have axle wrap problems, not may people would with that setup.

Ken H.

5. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

I had 4" blocks in the rear and I had axle wrap like an sob!

6. bigmack

bigmack 1/2 ton status

I've got 4" blocks in the rear and I have never had a problem. As long as I don't have any problems, I see no need to change anything.

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I have 4" blocks (still.../forums/images/icons/tongue.gif) and I have bad axle wrap and wheelhop. They are gone as soon as I get off my lazy butt and do the 'can't afford it' shackle flip.

Rene

8. ChevBlazin

ChevBlazin 1/2 ton status

I have 4" blocks in the rear and dont notice any problems. I know my furd F150 with out blocks (had rear ad a leafs) had major wheel hop in the rear and the blazer has none. I agree to make sure the u-bolts are always tight, I have been noticing the rear end feels kind of "loose" and now after thinking maybe the u-bolts are loose, I'm gonna check that very quick. And then for the not-so-good scenario, my dad has a 90 ford ranger that he bought with a 6" lift. the rear lift comprises of the factory ford 3" blocks stacked on top of the aftermarket 4" blocks (this is what skyjacker suggested back then) with u-bolts that must be well over a foot long. dont even try to spin the tires on that thing, or you'll bounce yourself right out of the truck. I think I've convinced him to get rear springs now.

9. MNorby

MNorby 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I run 4" bllocks and some of those add a leafs and no axle wrap. I wanna remove the add a leaf to flex better but I am afraid I would then have the wrap. As soon as I build my shackle flip then out goes the add a leafs

10. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Yeah that's my setup, 4" (really 3") blocks and add a leafs. I had to add the add a leaf because the block was too short and it looked saggy butted. Anywho, because of my new stuff spring and rather mild motor, I have never had noticeable axlewrap except in 4 low full lock turn in 2 or so feet of snow. The whole truck hopped.

11. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

toyotas have massive axle wrap with no blocks
    there is more to the equation then the block
    every factory leafsprung 4x seems to use rear blocks some super tall

12. abusedtrucks

abusedtrucks Registered Member

I HAD the best setup in the world when I bought my K5 a few weeks ago. I had 2" blocks ON TOP of my 4" blocks in the rear. That lasted about 30 minutes of drive time, and less than 5 minutes of off-road time before I spun the entire rear end out from underneathe my truck. I wripped the shocks apart, the brakelines, everything went. I know that it is a sin to stack blocks like that, and I'll remind everybody that I didn't do it, but now that I have burned once to blocks, it will never happen again. I immediately ordered new BDS springs for only $164/spring.

MAYBE 2" blocks are fine, but anything over that, and I really would push towards a shackle flip or new springs.

13. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

K10ANDYKHAMNIC 1/2 ton status

what years are you talking m j ? i have a 01 tacoma and it has ZERO axlewrap , has v-6 auto prerunner . i plan on a sticking in a 1 inch zero rate this weekend . should i not ? -Andy

14. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Axle wrap and wheelhop is a problem with leaf spring suspension. Blocks amplify that. Chrysler spent a lot of time tweaking their leaf spring design in the 60's trying minimize it. IIRC biasing the bulk of the leaf pack slightly forward of the axle helped a lot. Basically a soft leaf spring will be suceptible to axle wrap...check the ORD Jimmy when you get a chance. Soft 63" long rears and a set of traction bars. No blocks either.

Blocks just make it worse.

Rene

15. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Personal experience!
    I had 4" blocks with stock packs and a GM 12bolt, Had!
    After getting my new Centerforce cluch in, new tires, rebuilt 12bolt with Pro-Auburn posi and about 1200miles of hwy breakin time. I whent wheelin. Well long story short while gettin on the gas to try and make it up a hill...Hop Hop hop SLIP BANG POW!!!!! TWISTED that 12 bolt, cracked the pumkin, snaped the driveline ujoint and now that damn 12bolt was smilin at me when you looked at it from the rear/forums/images/icons/frown.gif lost alot of money that day! Luckly I had a ConFerr truss on the 12 bolt wich held the axel tubes inplace enough for me to drive in front wheel drive for 6hrs to get me home/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif
    Every truck/rig is deffernt so all axelwrap will be differnt too!
    I agree 4" is the max anyone should use if you have too.
    Good luck

16. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Ant one try these to help controll wheel hop:
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.roadmasterok.com/how4.htm> roadmaster suspention</a>
    They look like they would work like Trac-bars but they are up and out of the way.
    But for what they cost you can almost buy a set of springs

17. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

i have a friend with 12" rear blocks...yeah that's 4 -3" blocks on each side welded together...you're saying this is bad???

LOL...I tried to tell him, but he wouldnt listen...what can ya do?

18. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

I got 4" blocks in the rear and never an issue... someday when I actually get my 14b sf in (don't hold you breathe at this point).... I will see how it works out. The previous owner put the blocks in but I probably would do it again if I had to replace them because they got worn out.... maybe I just got lucky....

19. dysphemism

dysphemism 1/2 ton status

I had 4 inch blocks. One time I took it out for a day of wheeling, tightened the u-bolts beforehand, and when I was done for the day I happened to look at the blocks to see that one of them almost chucked itself. I was able to fix it but the second I got home I ordered springs for the back. Flex versus safety isn't a very hard argument.

20. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Fords have came with stock lift blocks up to 4" for a long time.