Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rear Body Sagging

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 77blazin, Aug 22, 2002.

1. 77blazin

77blazin 1 of a kine K5

I bought a project vehicle a couple of months ago, the 78' blazer, I never thought of the reason why the tailgate doesn't close until I looked at the alignment.
    The quarters on both side seem to be sagging.
    There is a body lift on it and I didn't want to touch it yet.
    I would like to hear from you guys out there, what can I do to correct it.
    I was going to try using floor jacks with 4X4 wood to lift the left and right of each quarters to help aligned the bed, but it could be tricky.
    Anybody with any ideas.
    Sincerely
    M. Wiley

2. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Its a guess but it sounds like you might have floor rust. Might have to get up in there and see if the floor cross supports have given up the ghost.

3. loudnowlouder

loudnowlouder 1/2 ton status

yeah i agree, floor rust should be the only cause of this, pull your carpet and check the body mounts, i know on my truck is rear leans a little to the left, which is the side the body mount broke through...
    might be time for a new tailpan and crossmember

4. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

there is a metal support running across the back that the tailgate bolts to. with age, these rust and split apart causing the tailgate to no longer work. solution: spend $120 from J.C. Whitney for a new one. or just go nuts with the welder and angle iron, or square tube /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

NITRO

5. BigBurban350

BigBurban350 1/2 ton status

HO HO HO! You think you got a sagging problem, my Suburban was SICK. My rear doors are so misaligned, had problems shuting the pass doors. I got got new springs in the rear last summer thinking it would solve the problem, nope I had body sag, really bad. Everybody who saw my truck was like cool truck but why is the back so low. I did about 10 hrs of fabrication and welding(got sunburned from mig welder), and it looks normal now. The back doors still dont shut. Just jack up the the body(using large chunks of wood to spread out weight), and lift it to the height it should be. Then you can see what is messed up. I just welded a ton of supports, and welded plates where rust blew out the body mounting surface of the body. I wish I had pics to show you. Lift up your carpet and see whats rusted on the inside too. I guess i am lucky since I had access to a mig welder and torches. GOOD LUCK! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

6. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

If the rear end is sagging you might want to try getting the rear leaf springs re-arched. Over time the spring steel wears out and gives you a "Vato Loco" lowrider look in the back.

7. 77blazin

77blazin 1 of a kine K5

Hey Guys!!
    Thanks for the advice, I haven't touched the back end of the truck yet, cause I'm still working on the front.
    I will have pics of the 78 blazer before I started working on it, but the front was a disaster, four frozen bolts two on the cab which I'm still drilling out and the front support had to be replaced, I've learned alot since I started working on it, but at least the 350 engine is new with headman headers and the truck is raised with 35 BF Goodwich mix mud and all terrain which are also new.
    Man! this truck looks like it went through 2 owners and it sure wasn't worth no $1200.00.
    You guys keep me posted, I sure picked up alot of parts from the junkyard, anybody interested in a back seat that folds?
    Michael

8. 77blazin

77blazin 1 of a kine K5

Hello again Guys,
    Well I checked the undercarriage of the rear of the truck and there seems to be no rust near or on the reinforcement that holds the bed, I removed the carpet as quoted by You guys and there is surface rust, but nothing major.
    I examined the tail pan and noticed about a foot to the end on each side seems to be tilting downward, is it that the tail pan has finally given up, beats the hell out of me..
    There is a tailpan on ebay right now, just waiting to hear from the seller on the quote for shipping.
    Do you think I should get it?
    Michael

9. 77blazin

77blazin 1 of a kine K5

Big Burb..
    There will be a new body lift on the blazer, I'm having a friend at 4X4 Wheel Parts do an estimate for a new body lift, they also know about the rear body sagging, but I just want to keep it the same height let alone the sagging problem.
    Thanks for your reply and sorry I don't have torches to weld with... /forums/images/icons/confused.gif bummer /forums/images/icons/frown.gif /forums/images/icons/frown.gif
    Michael