Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rear brake conversion

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jna, Jan 25, 2004.

1. jna

jna Registered Member

Allright one more question...while getting into my new dana 60 project, i think i want to do airbags all around. When i take the rear axle off my /forums/images/graemlins/crewcab.gif, I wanna put disk brakes on the rear. What is the best way to get the braking ratio corrected. I read the article on the homepage, but got more confused /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif. I did not know that i lived right next to that azkickin company, so i might get the conversion from there. But what about the ability to operate these? What have you guys found to be the most effective way of making this safe?? Thanks again in advance for any help, i really appreciate it.

Jared a

2. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

as far as brake pressure control for the rear disc's, a lot of guys on here that have done it use an adjustable proportioning valve. I'm not sure where you can get it, but I'm sure somebody else will chime in with a link or company./forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Rick

3. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

wilwood makes a nice adjustable one..... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

there was a wright up wear the guy used one of those wildwood proporsioning vavles...maybe its the one hes talking about?

5. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    i think i want to do airbags all around.

[/ QUOTE ]
    WTF?????? /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

6. jna

jna Registered Member

Why not?? /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif Some serious fab work, but it will get done. BTW, after i posted these questions, i found out that this is a site for you Blazer guys...i felt like a guy who wondered into a gay bar /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif But anyways, i thank you for all the help. wildwood huh? /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

7. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Blazers and pick em up trucks and Burbs /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crewcab.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crewcab.gif

8. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

So what are you working on? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

9. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

a ford

10. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

You're not going to get many hits searching for "Wildwood Brakes."

Try, Wilwood ....that'll get you what you want.

11. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

12. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

Jared, shoot me an email. I'm in Tucson and have done the rear disc conversion on my truck and helped another guy with his. I'm sure we can give you a hand.

13. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    Why not?? /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif Some serious fab work, but it will get done. BTW, after i posted these questions, i found out that this is a site for you Blazer guys...i felt like a guy who wondered into a gay bar /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif But anyways, i thank you for all the help. wildwood huh? /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    Why not?...because how would air bags help a 4wd? From what I have seen on the lame lowriders, it sucks for handling and makes getting traction more difficult because most airbag suspension systems aren't designed for performance...only for looking stupid with front 2 feet in the air and the rear down to where it's draging the bumper.

If you are building a show only truck than that would work fine but for driving it and wheeling it I bet it would just work against you. I guess you could get decent flex with a well designed 4 link system but the suspension would just seem sloppy to me. Bags can puncture fairly easy also. If there was an advantage of running bags offroad than you would see trucks with them. I only see show trucks that don't even see gravel driveways with flimsey designed air bagged suspension. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif
    The only real advantage that I can see would be adjustible ride heigth and a smoother ride than leaf springs. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif
    BTW...All full size chevy's are more than welcome! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. jna

jna Registered Member

1. Low riders are not the only ones who use this application. Try SEMI trucks.

2.Sloppy???, nope, it could be much more sturdy leaf spring. It is basically a coil over setup, but instead of the coil, there is an airbag that can hold thousands and thousands of pounds. Any link suspension will totally eliminate any axle wrap.

3. Puncture easily /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif. This is half inch rubber. No way.

4. Why you dont see any more of these offroading?? I have no idea what you are looking at. Try the scorpion rockcrawler. One of the most advanced suspension systems using airbags.

Unbelievable ride, unsurpassable loading capacity (i tow a lot)...it just takes a lot of fabrication that costs a lot of money. That is why you dont see it...big bucks, but not if you can do it with your buddies who can do this very well. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

jna

15. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    1. Try SEMI trucks.

[/ QUOTE ] My dad and I own 10 trucks, 20 sets of trailers, and have nearly another 10 subhaulers working for us. About the only benifets with air ride suspension in trucks is for a better ride mainly and easier to adjust wieght.

[ QUOTE ]
    2.3. Puncture easily /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif. This is half inch rubber. No way.

[/ QUOTE ] We have had firestone HD bags slashed on different occasions...I could puncture one with a knife and a sharp rock could do the same thing. Like I said...It all depends on how the system is designed. If it is a complete sturdy 4-link setup and the bags are in a safe spot than puncturing a bag is probably almost out of the question. Almost all the air ride setups that I have seen on 4x4's has been a poor excuse for suspension and hardly road worthy. I would love to see an actual air setup that is tuff and benifets the equipped vehicle offroad.

16. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

The air bags have nothing to do with adjusting weight, unless you are sliding the 5th wheel. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

I think they are not more common is because they are fairly new, more complicated than leaf springs, and more expensive.

If I could have paid the same for a full on air suspension as I did for the all spring lift, then there would have been no question about the choice - AIR /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

17. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    The air bags have nothing to do with adjusting weight, unless you are sliding the 5th wheel. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

[/ QUOTE ]Actually if you use a joe dog that is air ride equiped, it is used to adjust weight between the drive axle and pup axle. Have you heard of a dump valve on a spread axle? Dumps all the air out of the back bags to take the weight off of the back axle so it doesn't tear up tires and crack up frame when you turn... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

18. crawlink5

crawlink5 1/2 ton status

I was looking at going air bag sometime back. The springs are cheap and can be bought without a kit. You do the fabbing to save a lot of money. Need to find a source for the valves.

Air bags will work well off-road if designed correctly. Most of the design will be in the control of the air through the use of valves and controllers to control air pressure in each bag. You could set it up to "attempt" to level the truck in an off camber situation or just manually controlled.

Make sure the bags use use will give you enough movement up and down. This will also be a hill to climb over. This link http://www.enidine.com/pdffiles/airspringm.pdf has some specs for bags which will give you an idea...

And they are smooth on road.

Here's a partial list of air bag companies. Good luck and post your results.
    http://www.airliftcompany.com/airFAQs.htm
    http://www.artmorrison.com/
    http://www.sae.org/automag/globalvehicles/02-2002/
    http://www.contitech-usa.com/2level/airsprings.html
    http://www.enidine.com/
    http://www.enidine.com/pdffiles/airspringm.pdf
    http://www.firestoneindustrial.com/
    http://www.trianglegroup.com/airspring.htm

19. 81jimmyslt

81jimmyslt 1/2 ton status

Check out the new March Four Wheeler there is a trick 79' k20 with airbag suspension, he seems to have done very well too! Overall 2nd place!