Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rear Brake Line

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 84PolarBear, Oct 15, 2002.

1. 84PolarBear

84PolarBear Registered Member

Who knows if the fitting of a brake line will fit a rear 10 bolt and a 12 bolt.

2. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Let me see if I can give you the answer you are looking for (because there are a few fittings back there). The hard line running to the rear is 1/4". Where that screws into the rubber line, it should be the same for the 10 bolt and 12 bolt. Then, the rubber line goes down to a splitter block. The hard lines coming out of that are 3/16". That should be the same for the 10 bolt and 12 bolt. So far, all "fittings" should be the same. Then the only thing left to talk about is the rubber hose hanger. The rubber hose end is keyed to press into the hanger, then a clip is inserted on the other side of the hanger. That, too, should be the same for the 10 bolt and 12 bolt.
    I hope in all of this I answered your question. If you want any more clarification, just ask. And, if I'm way off of the subject...sorry.
    Hope this helps.

3. NetBlazer

NetBlazer Registered Member

Yep, Heavy4x4 is on the money, it should work fine. I just recently swapped out my 10 bolt for a 12 bolt and all the brake lines bolted right up. The 12 bolt had the original lines on it, so I just unscrewed the old 10b lines from the splitter block and attached the 12b lines there. I also bought new wheel cylinders for the 12b and compared them to the old 10b cylinders and they were the same too.

The only problems I had were with the e-brake bracket not being the same setup as my 10b, but that will depend on the specific axle. Also, I needed to get a conversion U-joint for mine. The vast majority of people say that the 10b/12b yokes are the same size, but there are instances where the 12b is a bit smaller, and I turned out to be one of the lucky /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif ones. I think you can swap the yokes between them pretty easily though.

Hope this helps,
    Sean