Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rear Brakes Not Working

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 89Blazer4wd, Dec 13, 2005.

1. 89Blazer4wd

89Blazer4wd Registered Member

Hello Everyone,
    Noobie to my truck and the site as well. Tried doing some searching and wasn't able to come up with much information for the specific problem them i'm having.
    My rear brakes are no longer engaging. Was driving about a week or so ago and the brake pedal was feeling a little spongier then usually. Was on the highway and had to step on the brakes fairly quickly and i felt the pressure build in the pedal and then a sort of pop and the pedal continued to go down. I figured one of the wheel cylinders might have gone bad or something like that. But when i checked the master cylinder it was still full. Some other people mentioned that i should change the master cylinder first since there are seals in there that can go bad and block the fluid inside. I changed that yesterday and when i was bleeding out the master cylinder itself, everything seemed to work fine. After hooking back up the lines and starting the truck, the brake light still came on and after driving it can tell that its still only the front brakes working. I've always done all my own brake work on my previous cars, so i'm not new to rebuilding rear drums. But i just wanted to see if there was any advice on what could stop working, but not drain out the fluid from the master? Anybody else ever have this problem?

Thanks for the help,
    Patrick

2. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

you need to look at the rear brakes to see if the linkages are still hooked up. The brakes in the rear are mechanical past the clyinders.