Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

rear brakes on '89

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by delta9blazer, Jan 17, 2002.

1. delta9blazer

delta9blazer 1/2 ton status

rear brakes on \'89

i pulled the wheel and drums off, and there is a shitload of springs and crap in there.
    i can pick my own nose, are these brakes something i can do like a big boy? or are they a biitch?

<font color=purple>delta9blazer</font color=purple>

2. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Re: rear brakes on \'89

Not much to it. Just look at it real good and only do 1 side at a time and as you take stuff off just lay it out the way it came out. If you run into a problem just look at the other side.

See <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Waynes-Toy>Project Mighty Mouse</a> here.
    <font color=blue>Wayne<font color=blue>
    <font color=blue>Happy Trails<font color=blue>

3. Burbinator

Burbinator 1/2 ton status

I second wayne's suggestion. Also, pay attention to each pad as I think they go on a particular way, again using the other side as a guide (friction material length on the shoe). It's been a while since I've done them, but I seem to recall that little quirk.

Have fun!

Haze gray and underway...<font color=blue>or blue, in my case.</font color=blue>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/album/26246038MbQsYWKcbo>U.S.S. Nimitz II</a>

4. woody9

woody9 1/2 ton status

I 3d what they said... No smoke or mirrors ( as we say in networking FM) to make 'em work. The basic vehicle repair manuals cover it fairly well, but if you leave 1 side intact while doing other it's not too bad. Brake spring tools are Very Handy for doing 'em and worth the $$ as you'll use 'em again.
    DO NOT STEP ON THE BRAKE PEDAL WHILE THE DRUM IS OFF!
    That will cause the wheel cyl to expand and (most likley) blow it's seals.
    Watch primary &amp; secondary shoes (manual should say which is which.. my feeble memory doesn't carry all the info it used to!).. but i can find the page quick in book!
    If springs seem rusty, dusty and generally used up, kits are available @ most parts houses and usually not too expensvie, as are new hold down kits (those springs/pins between the shoes &amp; backing plate).
    If you're not sure what the old lining was, try not to inhale the dust (asbestos).
    Normally 3 spots that take a dab (a tiny dab!!!) of lubricant to allow the shoes to slide a bit when engauging.
    The P-Brake attachment to the rear lining may be a tad of a challange. Had more than one holder fly across the room never to be seen again!
    Hope this helps.