Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rear Brakes Q???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by chaka73, May 4, 2000.

1. chaka73

chaka73 1/2 ton status

I need to replace my rear brakes, I have never replaced the rear, I replaced the front ones on my blazer following the manual but the rear ones seem a little more complicated, I am gonna have to turn the drums one of them looks like it needs it so I'll do both at the same time, but is there something I need to watch out for, that's not in the manual, or any tricks that the munual doesn't cover I know alot of you guys out there dont pay to have this job done it's looks pretty simple but like I said I'm a rookie to this if anybody can help I thank you guys.

LOVE MY GREEN GIANT!!!

2. Jimbo

Jimbo Registered Member

When I do work on my brakes I take my time and set the pieces on the ground just like they go back on, or use the book or the other side.

I always clean everything up real good too cause so much brake dust and sometime grease gets in there.

Have fun....

3. BIGJ

BIGJ 1/2 ton status Author

GET THE RIGHT TOOLS!!! I went to sears and bought a drum brake tool kit, I think it was about 20 bucks. The spring pliers make removing and installing the drum brake springs alot easier than using a flathead screwdriver. Having the right tools shaved off alot of time changing that stuff.

BIGJ

4. Kodiak

Kodiak 1/2 ton status

Do one brake at a time so when you put it back together you can look at the other to see where the springs go. After you do it a few times it really is pretty simple. Oh, be sure to screw in the self adjust screw to make it easy to put the drum back on. Then use a screwdriver to tighten up the screw thru the slot in the drum.

5. chaka73

chaka73 1/2 ton status

Thanks guys I kinda have an idea now, one at a time so I can check the other side for mistakes, this should be enough for me to replace my brakes once again thanks.

LOVE MY GREEN GIANT!!!