Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rear Bumper and Tire Carrier built by High school Stduents

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TK5, Feb 28, 2003.

1. TK5

TK5 1/2 ton status

I have placed a pic of my rear bumper and tire carrier on my gallery. The outfit was built my students in Agricultural Mechanics class were have studying arc welding and mig welding.

The bumper and tire carrier cost me about $129 to build ($33 of the cost was Pepsi's from our school drink machines). They learned a lot about welding, geometry, and actually see a product that they produced with my help and design. A front winching bumper is in progress which is included in the present state. Pics are to come later.

Check out my gallery TK5, I have yet figured out how to post a picture on the Forum. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif My webshots

2. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

how about a link?

3. TK5

TK5 1/2 ton status

I tried to link but I keep getting kicked off for some reason. I will keep trying. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif Any way it is on my gallery page under TK5.

4. BigRed89

BigRed89 1/2 ton status

Nice looking bumper and tire carrier! I'm sure your students must feel proud of themselves being able to see their hard work come to fruition. Keep it up Teach! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. TK5

TK5 1/2 ton status

6. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

Wish my AG class did stuff like that

7. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

Wish my AG class did stuff like that

8. evilandangry

evilandangry 1/2 ton status

Is there a chance that you could slide ne off a set of drawings for this project? The machine shop lead man owes me a favor.......
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

If you were to machine that, it would be solid metal. That would be EXTREMELY heavy. You'd want to make it out of tubing.

10. evilandangry

evilandangry 1/2 ton status

Machine shop lead is also lead over the cut-off and weld departments. I have be considering using 3/8 wall 304 stainless box tube for a base!! I just am too cheap and lazy to frig around with prototypes.

11. MOABDADC22

MOABDADC22 1/2 ton status

Looks nice. Tell the students that they did a good job. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I like to see kids doing productive things like this instead of building a bong or homemade weapons.

12. 85burbanator

85burbanator 1/2 ton status

i agree on the weapons. that is very nice bumper. bravo /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. TK5

TK5 1/2 ton status

Thanks for all the positive replies. Fron tbumper is the next project. Pics on the way. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

14. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

what is that on the drivers side of your truck in the rear?

15. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

Nice job...how long did it take to build? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

16. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

Guess I"m full of questions, is that the rockstomper hinge or what did you use for the pivot?

17. Mudbug1979

Mudbug1979 1/2 ton status

Great looking bumper,they did a good job /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif. what size tire you gonna run on it?

18. WakeBoard&4X4er

WakeBoard&4X4er 1/2 ton status

Good looking!! you want to have them make me one? for $129 i could use one!

19. TK5

TK5 1/2 ton status

I am an amateur radio operator. I have a HF radio 10-160 meter radio installed in my k-5. The thing sticking up is my mount for Screwdriver antenna. A screwdriver antenna has a 12 volt drill motor the moves a phenolic with wire wrapped around at close spacing to resonate the antenna at a given frequency. I am also a member of several organizations (Amateur Radio Emergency Service, ARES for short) that deal with emrgency communications if the need ever comes to the point that all other comunications is not possible. I am also Weather Spotter for the National Weather Service here in Tennessee. Just another hobby and public service to our community and our Nation.

You don't hear much about Amateur radio, but it is a very useful tool during emergencies. Amateur radio operators were called in and still are aiding in the search for debris from the shuttle Columbia. They gone into areas were cell phone service and local 2-way communication did not have signals.

I am probably into Amateur radio than Modifying my K-5, but that is why I am building my blazer. Most people like the offroad , which I do too, but my idea is to have a vehicle prepared and ready for emergencies.

I shouldn't ask this question, where are you stationed? I appreciate all the work and dedication you and all soldiers are doing to protect our country. I have the utmost respect for you all.

I am a school teacher here in Tennesse. I teach Agriculture Education. Welding, cutting and buidling things are our specialty. I also teach Greebhouse management, Turf care, and landscaping.

20. TK5

TK5 1/2 ton status

I would like to but most the steel used was donated to me by a local construction company that was going to throw it in a dump. I ask if I could have the steel, only if I hauled it away. so instead of just learning to run beads with a mig and stick all period, I said OK let's be constructive and build something. We have built small trailors before but the market for trailrs around is down especially when yopu can buy on echeaper than can build.

If I come with the steel I'll let you know, seriously. We are building a front bumper for me now plus building mail box post out some the 4 X 4 stuff and filling them with concrete to make sure if someone hits these they will not go to far.