Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

REAR BUMPER BRACKET QUESTION

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by K5MONSTERCHEV, Mar 22, 2003.

1. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

I just bot rear bumoer brackets. Are there differrent ones for trucks and blazers for the inside bracket??? The ones i have dont really fit, because the bushing is too big for the spot in the bracket. I went and loked at some trucks and they fit because theres no bushing in the rear. Who can answer this?????????????????????????

2. Roostr84

Roostr84 1/2 ton status

I don't have one to compare to but it may have to do with the curviture of the frames. I think the trucks frames are much straighter as k/5's and subs have an angle at the rear.

3. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

I just look in some book I have and don't see anything diff, the fleet-side and step-side use the same one...as far as the inside one, the bumper bolts to the frame in the centers and then the brackets are on the out side, now if you putting this on and you had some sort of custom bumper on your truck before, are you sure they didn't cut the frame off in the back?

4. K5MONSTERCHEV

No im positive the frame is cut in the back, but the brackets i have are for that. I just wanted to know if there was a diff for trucks and blazers, because of the rear body mount, if these are the right ones, i will just modify them!!

5. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    the bumper bolts to the frame in the centers

[/ QUOTE ]

Not on mine. I remmember that being brought up in the variations based on year thread that was going a while back.

6. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Are you putting in (or have put in) new body mounts? I had to trim the bottom washers on the back ones in order to get them to fit. I think that is also when I took the bumper off.

It sounds like you have the correct brackets but if not you are welcome to mine.

7. K5MONSTERCHEV

Yes the body mounts are new, it seems like there just isn't enough room for the bracket be cause the rubber is too big to for the bracket to fit in there. I guess, unfortunately I will have to do a little fabrication for them to work, just hope that doesnt weaken it to much.

8. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I think I would rather shave down the body mount than the bumper bracket...But than again I don't have a bumper /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

9. K5MONSTERCHEV

Yes but it looks like there would be a lot of body mount shaving (clost to half), and im not sure i want to do that. That is really frustrating that you buy brackets and they dont even fit, ARGH!!

10. greenhorn

greenhorn Registered Member

K5...Where did you buy your rear bumper brackets? Does someone sell new rear 4x4 brackets? I'm thinking of replacing my step bumper on my 71 K10 with a chrome one but all I could find are 2wd brackets.

11. K5MONSTERCHEV

Was out at the good guys swap meet, there was a vendor there called truck shop, they had a package deal. I got the bumper brackets, license plate bracket, light, bolts, everything. i dont know if the brackets are differrent for 2wd.

12. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I thought it was just on the K5's where the frame didn't go all the way to the bumper?...so it doesn't on a K10 either?

13. greenhorn

greenhorn Registered Member

I am not sure if there is a difference between K5's and K10's nor do I know anything about the rear frame of a 2wd versus 4wd but a friend who *knows* first generation trucks told me the rear bumper brackets for a c10 won't work with my k10 unless the brackets are modified.

14. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

on my 72 K5 they(frame) went to the bumper, they droped as they went out and bolted to the two holes in the bumper...you can see the bracket and just to the right of it under the cover plate is the frame....

[​IMG]

15. K5MONSTERCHEV

Yes, I wish my frame was correct, but unfortunately, someone cut it. I was told the brackets have to be modified, no big deal. There are supposed to be correct bracket for blazers out in 2 months, sure, for now you have to modify.

16. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I don't think they cut it...That is just how the 71's are and they changed it in 72.

17. '72brett

'72brett 1/2 ton status

so, '72 brackets are easy to come by?

18. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

They arn't exactly easy to come by...they don't exist AFAIK.

I think the braces for the corners of the bumper are the same for all 1st gens.

19. J.Lance

J.Lance 1/2 ton status

Some blazers were straight cut it the back and some curved down and met the bumper. Yes there were different brackets. In the catalogs they don't tell you there is any difference but there is and as far as I know they only offer one kind. I believe the brackets offered are for 2wd trucks. I have a SWB 4X4 and I know for fact they don't offer the outside brackets I need for a stock bumper. The "new" brackets will interfere at the rear spring hanger. I'll have to use 2WD brackets and modify them to work or find very rare used ones. The fact that some of these places sell you crap they should know damn well won't fit really pisses me off. Fortunately I have a local guy in the business and he's an encyclopedia for these trucks and filled me in on the potential problems before I got suckered in to buying a new set. I believe there could be as many as 3 or for different styles of brackets depending on 2wd/4wd and long bed or short and Blazer. Good luck. Get out the grinder, there will still be plently of meat left on the bracket to hold the bumper sturdy. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif