Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rear bumper suggestions...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by WantedaDodge, Dec 18, 2004.

1. WantedaDodge

WantedaDodge 1/2 ton status

Hi all!

New to the blazer world. I wanted a Ram Charger or a Trail Duster, but I got a good deal on a Blazer so I'm gonna make it work.

It's a 1984 and I need a new rear bumper for it. I'd like a heavy duty off road bumper with a swing out tire rack.

Any suggestions and prices? A gas can mount would be cool too.

2. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

dont say that or no one will help you! just kidding.

one of the sponsors here makes bitchin' bumpers. click on the 4x4Iron link.

also one of the members, DP_90K5 makes awesome bumpers and rock sliders.

3. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

4. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

by the way my uncles got a 77 ramcharger , and even tho its got better axles, a 440 and a full convertible, its still a POS compared to my 89 blazer.

5. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

LOL full convertables are cool.

6. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Yeah I hear ya, I really had my heart set on a cherry 76 Gremlin but had to settle my 74 Blazer...Wow if only you could have gotten the one you really wanted, you'd have those cool lookin door top window frames that look so bitchen when the top is off...:tongue1: Let me guess why you opted for the Blazer..... It ran...
    Welcome to CK5...:grin:

7. WantedaDodge

Ok, I didn't expect to get flamed... This is why chevy guys piss me off. They think the only thing in the world of automobiles good are there precious chevrolets and everything else is crap. I'm not a chevy guy, I just drive one, and I like it a lot.

I like all 3 of the big brands, Dodge, Chevy and Ford. I think they all have something great to offer.

The reason I went with the blazer is because it was my friends dad's and I know it's been took care of. Plus, I got it for $500 cause he just doesn't drive it anymore(he bought a dodge).

I know mopar motors like the back of my hand. You can build a 360 or 440 for under $2500 without any trick parts that will run like nothing else for $2500.

450 hp easy out of the big block...

I had a '75 Trail Duster in my sights, but it got bought out from under me. It had a D44 front end, Chrysler 9.25 rear, 4.10s, 203 case, 440, 727 trans, A/C.... Nice rig, but I didn't move on it fast enough...

8. WantedaDodge

LOL, yea, I bet it's a real POS... :grin:

9. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Ah, take what the guys above said lightly. Almost everyone here are diehard chevy guys, which is fine, but they will have the attitude that there is nothing else as good. I can't blame them though...what ever someone prefers is what they think is the best out there usually and for us thats a blazer.

In reality though...a blazer, ram charger, and bronco are all basically in the same catagory and all three have something designed better than the next. I really like the fact that dodge uses a 9.25" rear end under a lot of the half tons along with ford and the 9" in some of the earlier models vs. an 8.5" 10B that chevy used. But Chevy does make up the weak rear end with the simplest swapping capabilities between 1/2-1 tons.

Anyway, you are going to find blazer biased opinions here so take it lightly. I personally prefer a blazer over the above 3 trucks but I also would rank a new diesel chevy #3 on my list behind the Ford SD and I personally think the dodge cummins is a much better truck than both....but thats mainly because I own both a blazer and a newer dodge cummins and am biased. :)

10. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

You weren't getting flamed Dodgeball, here I'll post a smiley with more focking smile...:D Your original post states you wanted a Dodge blah blah blah, OK dandy but then you go onto say how you pretty much settled for a Chevy...Relax....

11. WantedaDodge

Actually, I don't really think I settled. If I could have it my way, I'd have BOTH!!!

I like both of them a lot. I think the Dodge has a better package out of the shoot, and I like there powertrains the best, but the chevy has a lot of easy and cheap upgrades, plus I like the looks of both a lot.

Wouldn't mind having a Scout II as well!

12. vervepipes

vervepipes Registered Member

sounds like you could go for just about anything. thats the attitude i like. right before i moved here i had my eye on a 58 willys FC150 with a ford V8 and a GMC tilting box for 2500$, but it was sold by the time i got here... so i bought a co-worker's blazer for 500$ instead. best 500$ i ever spent i think

13. WantedaDodge

They only trucks I really don't like are the IFS chevy's. I absolutely hate them. Not just cause of IFS, but just that whole generation of trucks and the way they held up. lots of bad experiences...

Ohyea, add one more to the list, a '76 Jeep J20 pick up w/ a 401 4bbl and a 4 speed!

14. 79Stomper

79Stomper 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Here is somme pf DP_90k5's work. (Have to show it of everytime it is relevant)
    With a 35" Spare
    [​IMG]

With a 40" Spare
    [​IMG]

15. WantedaDodge

looks good, but I really don't care for a rear tube bumper.

Plus, I want to use the Con Fer tire rack Blitz can carrier, don't think I can do that with that style spare carrier.

I am interested in his front bumpers though.

16. 79Stomper

79Stomper 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I never really cared for the bumper myself until I put ti on. Provides a nice walk up ramp to geting in the back of the truck, high tag mount and 2 people at 200lbs each can hang on the back of that thing. The way Daniel designs hs front and rears is to give maximum takeoff and departure angles.

Here is one of the front with a Ramsey 12000lb winch in between the frame rails
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 21, 2004
  17. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

Yah, I'm a Chevy Man. There isn't anything wrong with you liking other Manufacturers. I'm glad that you like your K5 (they are great). Every manufaturer has it's + & -. My favorite Hot Rods are Ford products. I almost bought a Power Wagon from a girlfiends father when he was going to sell it.

Here is a link to my web page.

http://www.geocities.com/moe_craig63/My_Chevy_Blazer.html

CK5.jpg

Last edited: Dec 20, 2004
  18. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

1200lb winch huh? I know you meant 12000lb, cause a 1200 pounder wouldn't drag a 60:haha:

As for bumpers, look at 4x4 Iron if you want a traditional type bumper/tire carrier combo that you MAY be able to mount a gas can to.

John

19. surpip

surpip 1 ton status