Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

rear bumper vs. roll pan?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Rix_Gotta_Blazer, May 18, 2002.

1. Rix_Gotta_Blazer

Rix_Gotta_Blazer 1/2 ton status

i am not sure if this is a good idea, but i was considering replacing the stock metla bumper with a fiber glass or steel roll pan. does anyone see anything wrong with this? anyone done it?

2. jwduke

jwduke 1/2 ton status

I think the steel rollpan woud be the way to go, more clearance in the rear. It would be even better with the hidden hitch, then you would have a place to put a reciver/clevis to pull yor buds out that drive Furds!

3. 91K5

91K5 1/2 ton status

The roll pans certainly look nice, but without the bumper I think you'll loose a lot of your protection for the rear of the truck. Getting rear ended on the road or hitting something backing up will destroy it. My old K5 got rearended HARD twice and the bumper took all the abuse and is easily replaced with junkyard parts, but without that bumper the tailgate and probably quarter panels would have been crunched with it. Just my .02 though.

4. chris672

chris672 1/2 ton status

What year is your Blazer? You might want to fill out your profile so we know what you have. My brother has a 86 blazer and he was going to put a roll pan on and he found out that you have to cut off some of your rear frame because it sticks out past the body. Also, you might have to move your gas tank a little.

5. big d

big d 1/2 ton status

i had a rear roll pan on an s10. it looked cool, but man what a pita when you needed to jack it up in the rear and you need to get a bite on something strong enuff or long enuff for the jack. plus, (i know) theres a big weight difference between the two. also, if you got stuck, nothing low enuff that was strong enuff to push on and not damage(from the rear). an under vehicle (floor jack) would be ok, i guess, in some circumstances, but if you got lift, you might as well cash it in. i dunno, maybe somebody else has better ideas. id pass on it, myself.

6. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

sure, go ahead if your truck is a show truck. I cant think of any practical reasons for it, other than some extreme departure angles...

For me, even with a custom bumper, which sticks out 3" more than the stock one did, it doesnt affect my departure angle one bit.. because my trailer hitch is still below it! I'd have to be on a pretty extreme approach to hit the rear. well, unless its a ditch dropp off.

7. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

Roll pans our for lowered trailer queens. Just my .02 and it isn't even worth that. But you asked for opinions ;-)

8. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

If I remember correctly, your big problem will be that the tailgate mechanism will be in the way.......

9. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

You can't use a hilift with one.

10. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

Not being able to use something like a high lift could be a MAJOR issue. I know I use my bumper A LOT to stand on. I have to in order to open my tailgate. I also agree that you may have problems with your tailgate hinges. They connect to the bumper bolts at the rear of the frame.